TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is throwing the code PO430, which I believe reads something like "Catalyst efficiency below limit - bank 2"

I talked to a couple service guys at local Ford dealers and was told that the cause should be the rear O2 sensor(s) giving a false reading to the EEC. I ordered and replaced one new sensor in the driver's side pipe (I was told Bank 2 was driver's side). The SES light came back on a couple days later.

It is my understanding these sensors (and the codes they throw) are for OBDII emissions rules only and do affect the way the car runs; mine runs fine.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

2) If all else fails, would I be able to plug the holes in the exhaust and allow the rear O2 sensors to see only 'clean air' by threading them into some sort of homemade plugs outside of the exhaust altogether? Would this even work, or would it cause worse problems? I just don't want to buy new factory cats if they are in fact not functioning properly.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated

Frank

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Well... One thing you could do is get a set of MIL Eliminators that you can get on eBay sometimes... I think they sell for $40-$60.

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
Frank97 said:
My car is throwing the code PO430, which I believe reads something like "Catalyst efficiency below limit - bank 2"

I talked to a couple service guys at local Ford dealers and was told that the cause should be the rear O2 sensor(s) giving a false reading to the EEC. I ordered and replaced one new sensor in the driver's side pipe (I was told Bank 2 was driver's side). The SES light came back on a couple days later.

It is my understanding these sensors (and the codes they throw) are for OBDII emissions rules only and do affect the way the car runs; mine runs fine.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

2) If all else fails, would I be able to plug the holes in the exhaust and allow the rear O2 sensors to see only 'clean air' by threading them into some sort of homemade plugs outside of the exhaust altogether? Would this even work, or would it cause worse problems? I just don't want to buy new factory cats if they are in fact not functioning properly.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated

Frank
Not sure why you killed the messenger when all it did was tell you that the cat was bad.
As a previous poster has said MIL eliminators should work, or you can turn off the test with a chip or a reflash.
The MAF mod is not cool and may have contributed to the demise of the cat(s)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.

I have to take the car in for the state's emissions test next week. The notice I got from the state advises that MIL lights may cause a car to fail the OBDII portion of the emission test even if the actual level of emissions are low.

Any guesses whether I would be likely to pass the state's OBDII test after having the EEC reflashed to eliminate the MIL light? Just curious if their scanner would be able to "read" such changes to the factory program. Has anyone passed a similar emissions test with either MIL eliminators or reflash?

Sorry, this thread is starting to sound like it belongs on the EEC tuning forum.

Frank

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
Frank97 said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I have to take the car in for the state's emissions test next week. The notice I got from the state advises that MIL lights may cause a car to fail the OBDII portion of the emission test even if the actual level of emissions are low.

Any guesses whether I would be likely to pass the state's OBDII test after having the EEC reflashed to eliminate the MIL light? Just curious if their scanner would be able to "read" such changes to the factory program. Has anyone passed a similar emissions test with either MIL eliminators or reflash?

Sorry, this thread is starting to sound like it belongs on the EEC tuning forum.

Frank
If you reflash or chip the EEC to not post the cat test result all is cool , life is good, no DTC will be posted for the bad cat so the emissions tester will not see that anything wrong,... well unless you have anothe problem. I had the OBDII emissions test thing done 4 months ago and it was fine. I had an EEC-Tuner on the EEC with a bunch of changes in place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Winston, that's what I needed to know.

I just finished an email to fordchip.com...hopefully they'll set me up. They seem to be the place to go for EEC stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts