TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed my rear seal and wanted to get a 2nd opinion. At first i had it flush with the retainer plate, but i tapped it inward a little bit after reading about it. It seemed to put the lip of the seal on the shiny part of crank, and past the rust on the end of the crank.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Where's the pic?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Doesnt that serve to keep dirt away from the seal? Also it is cool to be able to move the seal to your liking since a groove can get worn into your crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Slinger?

I just changed my rear seal in my '95 (while I did the flywheel/torque converter swap) and there was no rear slinger over the seal. I highly doubt anybody has changed it before, everything looked very original in there, but I guess anything is possible. As for how far I pressed the new one in, the original was even with the block so I pressed the new one in SLIGHTLY deeper just so the seal would rid on a different part of the crankshaft than the original (not as deep as those first pics in this thread).

I did not know there was a slinger supposed to be installed, so I obviously did not put one.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Adding the slinger will help longevity; it keeps a slurry of dirt and oil from forming at the seal surface.

Instead, it will form just outside, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the slinger originally. Motor is supposedly a 97, has F5AE heads. Im going to use a strip of paper and mark the depth, and check all the way around the seal to be sure its in evenly. It moved outward slightly when i installed the retainer with seal, I tapped gently with a blundt object on one side to straighten it back out.

Trans is going in here in the next hour or so. When i removed the trans there were NO bolts from tailshaft to xmember, thankfully the new trans came with those 2 bolts.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My 02 PI engine came with the slinger and I have reinstalled it everytime I do the rear main seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts