TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
1995 40th Anniversary Edition 4.6L
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, for a quick update, I just got the car back from alignment and drove it home, about 20 miles. I might need a kidney belt, felt like the chihuahua doll with a loose neck that rides on rear speaker deck...LOL
Ride height, alignment, brakes are all awesome, but this rear is STIFF. My alignment guy thinks the shocks are too long and not riding in correct shock height/area. But I have the Bilstein shocks from the 1999 Mustang Cobra, PN 24-185974. Which I believe are the correct shocks for these lower springs. Could it be wrong shocks? It's raining heavy now so I have not tried lifting rear to see if spring is topped out, shock fully extended, but it seems like it might be close. I can hardly push back down.
Alignment shop loosened entire suspension, front/rear and re-torqued everything with weight on wheels and completed alignment, which he said is close to perfect.
Wife followed me home and agreed there was a lot of bouncing.
Not sure what direction I should take, put stock shocks? I do not know what length these Bilstein's are but I believe the stock shock is 19.125".
Or should I look around for used Eibach rears? I had a new '95 TBird and lowered with Eibach and was no issues back in '95.
Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
Thanks

Registered
I don't recall the vogtlands being that stiff .. it could very well be the shocks. Do you happen to have the originals ?? It's a fairly quick and easy swap to change them out, but that will confirm the shock theory. 馃槈

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
Bilstein also makes a B6, part number BIL-24185356. It's the softer of the two. I have the B8s waiting to go on my car like the ones you currently have. It's give them some time, but like stated, it's easy to swap the stock ones back in if you still have them. Then you'll know

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't recall the vogtlands being that stiff .. it could very well be the shocks. Do you happen to have the originals ?? It's a fairly quick and easy swap to change them out, but that will confirm the shock theory. 馃槈
No I do not have original shocks, maybe I'll buy some Monroe's for the stock Tbird.
Going to post a better update in a minute.....

The Parts Guy
That is the correct P/N for the B8 Sport shocks. Yes, they are significantly firmer than stock (they are the firmer of the two offerings from Bilstein). Whether there is an actual problem with something in your rear suspension or you're just not fond of the firmer shocks is about impossible for any of us to discern over the internet. Swap the shocks out and reassess.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is a better update...... break in the rain and I brought the car in and put on my lift.
I measured axle line to fender lip front/rear with weight on wheels. then lifted car and measured total droop.
Pleasantly surprised to see a lot of droop after thinking there would be none or little.
Front travel is almost 5"
Rear travel is 4"
The length of Bilstein shock in 19" from bottom eye to upper bushing pad.
So I'm thinking with weight on wheels, that the shock piston is right in the area the shock needs it to be.
The spring is not topping out the shock at all, yet so stiff....maybe I should buy some Monroes for factory replacements and see what happens?
The front is soft like factory, no issues at all.....
I like the ride height tho....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That is the correct P/N for the B8 Sport shocks. Yes, they are significantly firmer than stock (they are the firmer of the two offerings from Bilstein). Whether there is an actual problem with something in your rear suspension or you're just not fond of the firmer shocks is about impossible for any of us to discern over the internet. Swap the shocks out and reassess.
I think you're right, It's me. I wasn't expecting this much stiffness. I will replace shocks and go from there....
Thanks for your input

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Last update for this I guess.
I was able to get the softer Bilstein shocks (B6)? and yes they are softer and the car does not bounce as much, little smoother, but still stiff.
I'm assuming that using these lowering springs come with a stiffer ride. I like the ride height and everything about the car, just worried it bounces on a wet road/turn and slides right off.
I'm prolly worried about nothing.

Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
It鈥檚 probably just going to take some getting used to, it鈥檚 not dangerous. I鈥檝e got vogtlands and Tokico blues in back and it鈥檚 certainly stiffer than stock but it鈥檚 very controllable, the suspension is still independent afterall.

Super Moderator
Lazarus was incredibly stiff after going full poly, and adding sport springs in the rear.
There is no bounce with the konis, or the tokicos, with the lowering springs that came with them.

Reactions: Haynmerc

Super Moderator
You need to have the weight on the wheels, when you do the final tightening of the bolts. And you need an alignment.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

The Parts Guy
That worries me..i tightened everything in the rear on jack stands under the diff. Unloaded wheels.
Have you driven the car or cycled the suspension? If not, loosen and re-torque the bolts at ride height.

Premium Member
Have you driven the car or cycled the suspension? If not, loosen and re-torque the bolts at ride height.
Yes..I am embarrassed at how my car rides right now. I think the bushings that came with my addco rear sway bar are bad after 1000 miles. And my stock drive shaft is most likely unbalanced along with my rear wheel bearings hum above 100 to the speed limiter. With no trunk carpet the clunk can is easier to hear.

Should I put the rear end on ramps and then re torque whatever i can with the wheels on? Ill re read that sccoa article with the chart on energy suspension sizes, but i might have more questions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It鈥檚 probably just going to take some getting used to, it鈥檚 not dangerous. I鈥檝e got vogtlands and Tokico blues in back and it鈥檚 certainly stiffer than stock but it鈥檚 very controllable, the suspension is still independent afterall.
Thanks for that, I'm gonna use this car every chance I get until the engine change. The more I use it the more I like it.

The Parts Guy
Should I put the rear end on ramps and then re torque whatever i can with the wheels on? Ill re read that sccoa article with the chart on energy suspension sizes, but i might have more questions.
It couldn't hurt, but the damage may already be done.

Super Moderator
my rear wheel bearings hum above 100 to the speed limiter. With no trunk carpet the clunk can is easier to hear.

Should I put the rear end on ramps and then re torque whatever i can with the wheels on?
Yes, that will let the bushings straighten up.

The driveshaft is probably toast. it is vibrating, which is putting a wavy texture on the rear hub bearings and the diff gears.
I never heard it, I had a really killer sound system in that car. I only found out when one of the wheel bearings died, and then I found the bad driveshaft. It also took out the transmission, by loosening the tail shaft, making it perpetually low on fluid, which kills them quick. I would get a new driveshaft asap.I wouldn't waste any money balancing the factory one, it wont last,because it's coming apart.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts