TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've got a question, can I jack up the rear end, loosen the bolts for the shocks, then bolt in new ones??? I never did suspension, but if I went into it I could figure it out, but I'm gonna get some info here first. Basically what im asking is this: How do you install rear shocks? (Front's are coming soon... waiting for bushings, and shocks)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Rear shocks are easy, just unbolt the old ones, and throw the new ones on. No special tools required, and it you don't mind laying on your back, you can do it without even jacking the car up.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about front shocks? It looks easy in the book... can the shock / coil spring assembly come out without taking apart the control arms, etc?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Front shocks are a PITA. You have to do quite a bit of work to get them changed. Pick up a Ford Service CD if you are going to be working on your car a lot. We use Alldata at the shop, but the Ford CD is better. You have to remove the entire shock/spring assembly, and then change the spring out to the new shock. It doesn't sound hard, but depending on where you live, that lower shock bolt can be rusted in there pretty good. I also suggest once you get the assembly off, taking it to a shop to have the spring changed. If you don't have access to a wall mounted spring compressor, it's well worth the $20 they'll charge you.

On a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being simple, 10 being a transmission rebuild (which I consider to be the most difficult thing to do on cars), I give the front shocks a 3.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The front shocks took me forever to do... It was easiest to unbolt the LCA and push it down to give enough room to slide out the shock. The rears were cake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts