TCCoA Forums banner

Rear Springs Replacement

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Kenz 
#1 ·
I have a 95 lx with the 4.6. The rear springs are gone. Theres nothing left. They are actually broke. I have another set of springs on hand. Now for the fun part. What is the right way to install the new springs? ive looked at using a spring compresser. There just doesnt seem to be enough room. Do i have to drop the sub frame to install them?

#2 ·
Removing the two bolts from the knuckle from the lower control arm will give you enough clearance to swing it down enough to R&R the spring (assuming the car is high enough). No spring compressor is required.

#3 ·
Are you talking about the rear of the control arm? dropping the bushing end? I have a full shop to work in and have access to everything i need. Just wanted to see which is the best way to replace the springs. See i work at a race car shop here in northern minnesota building dirt track late models. I have just been stumped a bit with this install. The springs i will be replacing the old with are an 1 3/4 inches taller but 50 to 75 pounds softer. and also straights springs not progressive springs.

#4 ·
No.

You want to remove the lower Bolts at the Knuckle, as theterminator93 said.

You need to support it with a jack at the spring, raise it slightly, remove the bolt for the shock, then slowly lower it until you have all the pressure off it.

Grab the spring, and gank it out; stuff the new one in the same way.

You do not need a big pry bar to put it back in; if you think you do, you're doing something wrong. Rethink it. These springs are unforgiving. :)

#6 ·
I'm terrified of the spring compressors that clamp on.
If I can't talk a friend with a wall mount spring compressor to swap springs for me, I'll wrap them with an old carpet remnant before gently loosening the tension.

#7 · (Edited)
So I'm ready to install new Vogtland springs and new shocks on my '92. The large chain stores only had spring compressors with two cast clamps for rent and my aftermarket manual shows using three stamped metal clamps at 120 degrees. Will I need them for the '92 rear coils and would they work?
Will they work for the front?

#8 ·
No, you don't need them. And no, you wouldn't want to use those screw type spring compressors anyway; if you need to disassemble the fronts, use a wall mounted compressor.

#10 ·
Exactly; have a hefty friend gently sit on the front of the car while you unbolt the center front bolt, with the wheels on the ground.

I find it easier to plant the jack under the car Before putting weight on the car.

Unbolt the bolt; it may come up a couple of inches; maybe not; depending on girth of said friend. :)

Move friend off car slowly, jack up car, remove shock, spring etc.

Reverse process to reinstall; you need to guide shock shaft thru the mount in the shock tower as friend applies weight while you jack under the front knuckle, to get it to go back together.

For sport springs, you can get it in the hole easily with a 400lb friend. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.