TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those who have removed or attempted to remove the 4 rear sub-frame bolts recently- how did it go?

I am hoping to do a complete rear suspension overhaul on my Thunderbird in the near future, and I keep seeing mentions of people breaking the bolts or rounding the heads off.

I was thinking about drilling four 1/8" holes in the car that would allow me to spray the internal nut with PB Blaster for a few months prior to removal.

Any experience shared would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I have removed plenty of these from junkyard cars without issue. It will make a huge difference if the car was exposed to salt. I use a 6pt socket and a long (25") breaker bar. If you break or damage them, I'm sure I can get a set.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
The common problem is them seizing, and you have to cut windows in the sheet metal to access the nuts.

There are/were pix for that, and a few threads, somewhere. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
The problem, especially in the northern states, is not so much the nut rusting to the bolt, but the bolt rusting to the sleeve of the bushing. When you go to loosen it, the bolt can't even turn enough to spin out of the nut. If they don't budge on you, then get another set from someone down south, and just cut the heads off the bolts, and once the subframe is out, you can grab the bolts with a vice-grips and spin them right out.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last month I pulled the rear sub frame while disassembling my dune car project. I was only wanting the diff and LCAs, but because of the reverse knuckle bolt that always gets in the way on Lincolns, I decided to try just pulling the 4 frame bolts. Because I was not going to reassemble, I did not care if they broke. I ended up breaking all 4 bolts after an 1/8 turn with a long breaker bar. They all snapped right at the head. After what MadMickey said, I realized that all my bolts were seized in the sleeves.

·
Super Moderator
17,168 Posts
The problem, especially in the northern states, is not so much the nut rusting to the bolt, but the bolt rusting to the sleeve of the bushing. When you go to loosen it, the bolt can't even turn enough to spin out of the nut. If they don't budge on you, then get another set from someone down south, and just cut the heads off the bolts, and once the subframe is out, you can grab the bolts with a vice-grips and spin them right out.
Do the sleeves stay in place in this instance (being pulled out of the rubber) when the subframe is dropped or do they break free from the remainder of the bolts with the weight of the IRS? I imagine if the bolts are siezed to the sleeves, and effectively the IRS itself, some prying is in order.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Yes, some prying is needed to break everything free, but it will come out. I honestly don't remember whether the sleeves came off the bolts or out of the bushings though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts