TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty certain that my rear subframe bushings are shot.

Anytime I shift from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, the entire subframe moves and I get a loud clunk/clank. It has been a long time since i had someone shift for me while I watched, so I can't remember which side it is, but I believe it to be the passenger side that moves (the tire ends up offcentered in the wheel well.

My car is fairly powerful for just having supporting bolt ons, and I am sure the PI/Jspec combo ruined an old, dry, torn bushing very fast.

I do have a new set of Ford rear subframe bushings to install. Will these hold up to a reasonable amount of power, or will I be shortly replacing them again? What I am really worried about is my True-trac differential that the subframe sloppiness fried - it killed the pinion bearing.

Anyone run the SCP rear subframe bushings? They sure are expensive! I worry that under higher power levels (I am hoping to install a Vortech at some point) that the solid bushings will transmit shock to places that were not designed for it, and result in sheared metal/twisting.

Any comments/experience in this matter?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
You'll be fine. I still have the original sub frame bushings in place on mine. The new OEM bushings that you have should work great - yes they will hold up to quite a bit of power. I have to wonder if it's another bushing or mount that's failed that's causing the symptoms you describe but it wouldn't hurt to replace the original IRS bushings on yours.

Anyway, If you're looking for something better than OEM I'd recommend getting the UMHW IRS bushings from Jay - see this thread for details. There's a picture of them in post #16.

If you're talking about the aluminum rear subframe bushing kit that SCP sells for $415.99 save your money and get the UMHW kit from Jay for $325 shipped. No one that I know of here runs the aluminum spacers from SCP.

BTW, I don't agree with calling metal spacers "Bushings". You're right about metal spacers being too stiff.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
... save your money and get the UMHW kit from Jay for $325 shipped. No one that I know of here runs the aluminum spacers from SCP.

BTW, I don't agree with calling metal spacers "Bushings". You're right about metal spacers being too stiff.
I totally agree; the ones that Jay sells are really nice. :)

I just rebuilt the rear of my oldest MN12, Lazarus, with these, and all poly bushings in Mark LCAs; except for these, everything is poly except the upper inner control arm bushing.

The irs to body bushings were put in awhile back; they were stiffer than the wasted stock ones, it was kinda hard to judge.

Adding the poly stuff made me realize how much give is in the stock LCA and knuckle bushings. :)
It's harsh with poly. :D

Dude that lined it up after I replaced all this stuff said "I love these cars; it's like cranking a knob to set everything." They're cool with using the numbers from the tech article.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't tried Jay's bushings, but I did buy the steering u-joint and Mark VIII coolant plug from him and I have to say, he does great work. Everything looked like it came out of a top-notch manufacturing facility.

I received my parts less than two weeks after I paid him, which is pretty impressive, considering it was shipped via regular mail and had to clear Canadian Customs.

PM him to order, you won't be disappointed!

·
I make stuff
66 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm always happy to get good feedback!

To the OP, in case you didn't know, I'm the Jay that they're referring to. If you have any questions about my products, feel free to ask, either by PM, or right here in this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts