TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. i wanna do a rear sway bar. so if i go with the 1 1/4 i dont have to change the frount one right? at a later date ill prolly do the frount. just want a lil better handleing. do u think the Addco 1 1/4 is a good choice. i just wanna hear what u guys think n learned from doing it yourselfs.

thx dank.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
TwoHaggard said:
so if i go with the 1 1/4 i don't have to change the front one right?
Correct

TwoHaggard said:
do you think the Addco 1 1/4 is a good choice.
Unless you're replacing it with a factory bar, I'm pretty sure that Addco is the only name in the game. My plans are for 1 1/4" bars front and rear eventually. I did buy a 91 SC bar for the front, but it was too much of a PITA to install it at the time.

BTW - Spelling words correctly is a good thing ;)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've got (or had) a set of 89 SC bars on my 97 Bird. They are pretty good for the price. Just a whistle smaller than the SC bars. 1.10" in rear and 1.20" in front. I paid 100 dollars for the set used.

And Cougar_guy04 is correct the front one is a pain to install, (and spelling does count) :D

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pst?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 1/4 make more oversteer or understeer?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any1 know..

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
accelerating out of a turn. would make slide back end around more or what?

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
You can read all about it in the tech articles section of this site.

Oversteer
Oversteer is when the rear wheels are carving a larger arc than the front wheels or the intended line of the turn. Rear "slip angles" exceed those of the front tires. This is often described as a "loose" condition, as the car feels like it may swap ends, or be "twitchy."
This condition can be caused by "power oversteer", where you need to reduce power in order to bring the back end back into line.

Understeer
Understeer is when the front wheels are carving a larger arc than the rear wheels. This is often described as "push" or "pushing" - as the front end feels like it is plowing off of a corner.
Further acceleration only compounds the push, as weight shifts back to the rear drive wheels off of the front turning wheels, leading to a further lessening of the car's ability to turn in.

Understeer can be remedied by slight modulation in throttle to transfer weight forward to the front wheels, aiding their traction and ability to carve the turn.

Many cars are designed to have a tendency to understeer. If the driver gets uncomfortable and "lifts" off the gas, that will cause the front end to tighten the curve - a relatively safer, and more predictable condition for the common driver.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the 1 1/4 bar would prolly be the best for handleing. n kickin it sideways if i wanted to..im not fast n furious im just askin?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i guess im going to get the 1 1/4 rear sway bar. should i order anything else while im at it..
Short Rear Sway Bar Link Kit - with Polyurethane Bushings ?
any other bushings or anything?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
TwoHaggard said:
so i guess im going to get the 1 1/4 rear sway bar. should i order anything else while im at it..
Short Rear Sway Bar Link Kit - with Polyurethane Bushings ?
any other bushings or anything?
You'll only need the short sway bar link kit if the car has been lowered.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya its lowerd 2in with intrax

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so u think that is all i need and or should get?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts