TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:
I finished installing my rear bilsteins today and am now working on the rear brakes + toe compensator links.
1) In a perfect world, I would remove both entire rear LCAs and replace the bushings. While Energy Suspension bushings aren't that bad cost wise ($44-45/set), I really don't feel like dealing with this PITA job just yet. I don't seem to have slop in the LCA just yet (used a prybar for testing), so I'll probably skip this step until after my next race.

2) What I'm OK with replacing right now are the toe comp endlinks -- esp since I was able to source a pair for $40-45 out the door from PepBoys on special.

So now that i have the bilsteins installed, I undid the bolt that holds the endlinks to the rear LCAs and sure enough the inboard endlink is dryrot/shot to hell.

Q: Are there any tips to removing the rear bolt holding the toe comp+LCA to the rear subframe or should I just hold the big nut and hit it with my impact gun? Once loose, the plan is to tap the bolt back so I can remove the old toe comp and then push the bolt back in to reinstall.

I have it soaking in pbblaster now and while this car is NOT rusty at all (CA Car), I strongly suspect that these LCA to subframe bolts have never been removed since they were installed on the car back in 95.

I don't see any marks so I believe the toe is set with the eccentric washer at the rearmost LCA attachment point and not the one farther forward.

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated (or just confirmation that I'm on the right track).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think that sounds like a good plan. The rear upper and lower control arm bushings look pretty solid, you should be able to wait a while. Are you planning on welding the bracing on after you finish replacing all the bushings? Let us know how good the new shock shock absorbers are.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
When I removed my stock LCAs to put in the new bushings, I broke both rear bolts (the ones with the cam plate for alignment). Of course they were rusty but still, removing the bolts were the biggest part of the job.

So, what I'm saying is, if you're considering swapping over to MK8 LCAs, now is the time. This is the hard part of the job.

On that note, the weight difference is significant. I didn't specifically weigh mine but the MK8 LCAs weight at least half as much if not less. And that's with me putting in a huge chunk of aluminum for a spring perch.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that sounds like a good plan. The rear upper and lower control arm bushings look pretty solid, you should be able to wait a while. Are you planning on welding the bracing on after you finish replacing all the bushings? Let us know how good the new shock shock absorbers are.
Kevin:
Toe compensators are only found in the rear of the bird and I'm only building the bracing as discussed with Mike for the front of the tbird. I will build the front braces as bolt on items and they can be installed without interfering with replacing the front LCAs.

Just pressing down on the rear shocks (fronts come in today) I can tell you that there's a good deal more dampening between the used motorcrafts and the new bilsteins. I don't recall the motorcrafts ever being this stiff in the beginning but I can't quantify the difference as I don't have a shock dyno.
-g

1 - 4 of 4 Posts