TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My pass side rear wheel bearing is roaring and there's about a millimeter or so of vertical play. Being I need to pull the knuckle I figure I'll replace the bushings while back there. This is my only car currently so I need to get everything ordered to expedite this work. Below are the options I'm looking at and would like some input:
Can you tap out the old bearing with a BFH, or do you need to have it pressed?
Is this Timkem the correct one for the rear wheel bearing?
Energy Suspension vs Prothane, is the Prothane $20 better?
Anything else to replace while I'm in there? Spring cups?

Rockauto:
TIMKEN SET49 $28.79e
ENERGY SUSPENSION 43163G $49.99

LMR:
MUSTANG PROTHANE IRS CONTROL ARM BUSHING SET #PT-6311BL $74.99

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts
The hub should be pressed out of the bearing, the snap ring removed, then the bearing pressed out of the knuckle. Install is the reverse of removal.

Those part numbers are correct, and the ES parts are good.

I'd pick up replacement halfshaft nuts. When reinstalling the halfshafts, I like to install a new nut, torque to spec, then back that up with the old nut.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reminder on the halfshaft nut. Rocksuto doesn't list a rear nut, do you know if this is the correct one:
DORMAN 615098 Thread: M24-2.0; Hex Size: 36mm; Height: 21mm
Found this on O'Reilly's site: Axle Nut

I've been pleased with other ES parts I've used.

I found this write up (HOW-) for the bearings. I have yet to find a machine shop near me so was trying to avoid the need to take them somewhere to be pressed in/ out. Gonna have to make some calls and see if a local shop will press the bearings for me.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Reactions: Kidd-7

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on the halfshaft nut. Rocksuto doesn't list a rear nut, do you know if this is the correct one:
DORMAN 615098 Thread: M24-2.0; Hex Size: 36mm; Height: 21mm
Found this on O'Reilly's site: Axle Nut
The "new" Ford rear hub nut p/n is W707772-S441. The "old" Ford rear hub nut p/n was FOSZ4B477A. I'm not a fan of the distorted thread locknuts as shown in your link, as they don't do the threads on the halfshaft any favors.

I found this write up (HOW-) for the bearings. I have yet to find a machine shop near me so was trying to avoid the need to take them somewhere to be pressed in/ out. Gonna have to make some calls and see if a local shop will press the bearings for me.
Solid reason to pick up a press. ;) It's a handy piece of equipment to have around.

·
Registered
94 Thunderbird LX
56 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts
I love and excuse to buy a new tool, any suggestions. I really don't know the first thing about a press.
The Harbor Freight 20-ton unit is pretty capable out of the box and doesn't cost much at all. I converted mine over to air-over-hydraulic so that I can run it with a foot pedal while using both hands to position/adjust parts and tools.

If you do much automotive work, it's a handy tool to have in the shop.

·
Registered
1994 Black T-Bird 4.6 DOHC TR-3650
104 Posts
Those part numbers are correct, and the ES parts are good.

For those who have the aluminium LCA's from a MARK VIII, what are the good ENERGY SUSPENSION bushings to install (since they are not the same and not listed in their site) ?

·
Super Moderator
11,777 Posts
The poky bushings fit the mark arms; last I looked the stockers are still avail for the steel ones.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
For those who have the aluminium LCA's from a MARK VIII, what are the good ENERGY SUSPENSION bushings to install (since they are not the same and not listed in their site) ?
You're looking for the ES 4.3163 bushings.

·
Registered
1994 Black T-Bird 4.6 DOHC TR-3650
104 Posts
You're looking for the ES 4.3163 bushings.
Thank you! Those are for the spindles. And for the inner ones (LCA to frame), it's PROTHANE 6311. Correct?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Thank you! Those are for the spindles. And for the inner ones (LCA to frame), it's PROTHANE 6311. Correct?
Per my Excel sheet, that is the right PN.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been at it for about 11 hours, but I can't press the hub out. The support that came with the press would not let the hub go through and rest on the knuckle because of the shape. I went to Home Depot and picked up some steel stock that fit the knuckle perfectly, but it's bending and the hub still hasn't moved. I got it soaking with PB blaster, tomorrow's another day. I'm pouring a drink and having a cigar. Any suggestions? Other than find a shop to press the hub out?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I use a 3-jaw puller to push the hub out.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,011 Posts
People make simple mistakes, did you remove the snap ring?
I was under the impression the hub goes out of the bottom as he has it positioned, then you remove the snap ring and flip it over to remove the bearing the other way?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
That is correct. The hub is only a press fit. You do have to flip it and remove the snap ring to remove the bearing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help. Got her all back together Sat night and was able to fire up the smoker on Sunday. It took me a total of about 22 hours. I used the 3-jaw puller to pop the bearings loose and then pressed them out. The pass side was a royal pain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts