TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that my rear wheels sit at a slight angle, like the top part of the tires are tilting inward. the inner half of my right rear tire is losing more tread than the outer half. the left side isnt as bad, but i notice that it sits at angle as well. i should note that i had a pumpkin swap done about a month ago, and yesterday i made a 10 hour trip across the state with a full trunk. my tires have not been over or under inflated recently. how do i fix this?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That is referred to as negative camber. If you have too much, the insides of your tires will wear excessively. You fix this by taking it to an alignment shop, and having them do a good 4-wheel alignment, to make sure your fronts are within specification as well.

If you are carrying heavy loads in the car on a regular basis, consider installing a pair of AirLift helper bags in the rear coil springs. Because of the suspension design, as the vehicle is loaded, and the ride height goes down, negative camber will increase ... potentially causing more irregular tire wear.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find that the lower rear control arm bushings are shot on MN12's that have a lot of negative camber on the rear. You might also notice some squeaking from the rear over undulations in the road that flex the suspension a lot.

Get the car up in the air and do a detailed visual inspection of ALL the bushings in the rear suspension. Keep in mind that something is wrong since the car sure didn't come that way. So keep looking until you find it, although it'll probably be obvious (squashed, cracked, and hanging out rubber).

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I'm a big fan of the airlift air bags, too. I install them on all of the MN12's that I put together.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
big mike said:
i noticed that my rear wheels sit at a slight angle, like the top part of the tires are tilting inward...i should note that i had a pumpkin swap done about a month ago
EXACT same situation I have. I just noticed it after I installed the 3.73's about a month ago as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts