TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i just got into an argument on why i do things i enjoy doing. the other person said that in order to do things u have to know the history. I love tbirds, and honestly i dont believe i have to KNOW the history of em. As well as lowriders, should i know how they came about and why¿ in order to enjoy them? Im just curious on why u do what u like and if u agree w/ needing to know the full history and background of ur activities. I think any one can do what they enjoy, for pure enjoyment (not popularity or b/c of why it started) I know this seems like a stupid argument and is but its been brought up soo many times i just wonder what other ppl think. Help please lol.

·
One And Only!
1,712 Posts
i agree with u liz
i mean i knew $hit about these cars before i bought it and after seeing all the trans ams camaros and mustangs around here i decided to pimp out a tbird
even tho that wasn't my choice of the car in 1st place
then once i got into it i started learning more and more about these cars and grew to love em
i dunno much history to them excpet when i had to do the project on my car history class i decided to do thunderbird so i can actualy learn stuff about em
people allways ask me why u wasting ur money on car why don't u do sumthin else with em but unless they true car enthusiast they just don't understand
some people are into speed some into looks but we both agree on one subject and we both have same passion and that is cars particulary Thunderbird :)
just my input on this subject thas all
thnx....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I work on cars (and have done lots of other things) because I enjoy it. It's fun. I liked to play basketball in middle school... still couldnt tell you a thing about the history of the NBA. When it stopped being fun, I decided not to go back to it the next year. I've had a fascination with cars from day one. Maybe having a playpen next to the 70 mustang helped inspire it :tongue: , but the fact remains that tinkering with cars, fixing them, making them go faster, look cleaner, run better is something i just plain enjoy. It gives me something to do to forget about all the crazy things that happen in life. Everyone needs an out. Without it, we'd all have moved to Montana and started mailing boxes to people we hated. :leftright: Umm, yes, back to planet earth... short version: Do I know the history of Tbirds? sure. Do I think you need to know it all? no. okay, this has been a fun rant, but that's my take on things. Hope I'm not causing a ruckus with it, lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well since the internal combustion automobile was first introduced into are lives... Americans has made hotrodding and racing one of our favorite pasttimes, hobbies, or whatever you wanna call it.:cool: Some people play sports, some of us throw and AED kit on our T-birds or Cougars.
As for the roots of my enjoyment of cars and the like... i grew up doing this stuff with my dad... If i felt like taking a pic of my son as he sleeps now, he is surrounded with about 8 toys cars. Though he is only 2 i plan on teaching him how to use tools once he gets a tad bit older, for now he'll have the plastic ones.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
pretty much like everyone already stated... I like doing stuff to my car(s) for the pure enjoyment of it. Make it stand out a little from the norm (see stock) and perfrom better and it gives you a sense of pride. Some people see a car as a way to get from point A to point B... the rest of us use a car to reflect our own personalities for lack of better words. As time goes by, the longer you own a vehicle... the more it becomes part of you. You know everything about it.... inside and out. For instance... when I had my Supercoupe and let a few people drive it, they all thought it ran pretty good... but when I'd drive it, I could pick out the slightest difference from the last time I drove it (slight sqeeks or rattles... little bit lower/higher performance... just all the little things you wouldn't quite notice driving another persons car). Oh and to answer you're question... you don't need to know the history of something to enjoy doing it... but enjoying doing something would probably end up with you knowing the history to an extent (if that made any sense, lol :D)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I enjoy working on my car, as little as I have so far. I plan to do a lot and most of it myself so I can learn. I really got into cars when my dad's friend told me about a car show that was held. I already had my car and was starting to tinker with it but just didnt know much about cars other then what engines were in some and the names of them. I know I liked camaros and monte carlo SS's when I first started liking cars. That was like 13 years old though. My dad was never into cars other then having them working and getting him where he has to go. He has a tbird but thats just because its compfy and stylish. I still really didnt know what the whole car thing was about. But once I started attending car shows I found out what it is all about. Everyone there has a love or passion for that gigantic piece of metal with a couple seats in it, four wheels and a steering wheel that they call their car. It doesnt mater what it was. It was theirs. So I started talking to many people and for the most part, most car people will talk all day about their cars or even any old car if they could. Then when I started to go to the track it was the same thing all over again, except these cars were going down a straight road instead of sitting there in a parking lot for a car show. I like seeing things people do to their cars whether its making it look nice or making it go fast. I really like the looks of cars from Liz, Miki (phatbird), Juicedbirdondubz, Sarah S. but I also like cars from Bigscott, Kdanner, Seabass, Richard M (also JasonS) Rudy, etc. I can go on and on but over all I like most of the cars here. When at the shows I love seeing the others like the lowriders and stuff. They arent something I want, (maybe thats because I live in the north and realld dont experience them much?) but I have great respect for the people that have worked on them. Same thing with hotrods, monster trucks, etc.
Thanks Jim D. and David J. (sort of mentors to me as far as cars go), and all of the great MN12 community for getting me into something this great.

Sorry, I made it long,
-Shawn

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I turn wrenches because I have too.....

seriously, if I keep my tools inside the toolbox for too long they get out at night and make demands...... and let me tell you, you DO NOT want your tools pissed off at you. They can do some nasty stuff.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I grew up around lots of cars.
I've always done all the work I can to my cars.
Now I sit in my garage and wrench whenever I can.
I don't usually do anything. Just sit there listening to the radio.
Cars and my garage are my escape. I am happy nowhere else, I have few friends, so my Cougar's my best friend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
StupidFly said:
I turn wrenches because I have too.....

seriously, if I keep my tools inside the toolbox for too long they get out at night and make demands...... and let me tell you, you DO NOT want your tools pissed off at you. They can do some nasty stuff.
really???... i'm suprised mines didn't B*t*h slap me over my head at night.. cuz i didn't touch them in a year, lol

I'm also starting to learn about cars.... i know the historys and info about my Kugar, since it's been in the family for also 13 yrs now... but, I slowly getting there, and hopefully i can work on my car ALONE! :thumbsup: aight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts