TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if they already have a post like this, but what are the reasons that you bought your MN12. Also what are the thing you don't like about your car.

Ill start it off: I bought mine first of all because it was cheap :D. But before I had it I did not know much about the Tbird, but I knew it was a beautiful car. My dads training facility was next to auto body shop owner and he had just fixed someones 1990 Thunderbird SC. I mean it was nice leather seats, ground effects, and sunroof. I said to myself I have to get me on of those, but the SC were kind of out of my price range. So while I was on eBay searching around for a new car (because I sold my SSEI). I saw a Blue Tbird for $202 with 20 hours left on the auction. And I ended up winning it for $310 and it also had the V8. So I was like ecstatic because I was about to buy a 1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme for the same price and it needed an engine (I would of felt like a jackass if I bought that :confused:). So me and my dad brought it home 400 miles and he loved it (first because he is 6'7 and drove my moms pacifica up there). My dad said the seat were plushy and comfortable. I loved it too and this is probably the best car I have had.

The only thing I dont like is the cupholders, so I am thinking about putting the 1997 cupholder in there.

Alright this is mine tell my your story

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
first car i ever owned was a red 89 base 3.8, i was 12 and only paid $1000 for it. Had it registered in my moms name because i was too young to own a car lol. She didn't have a car at the time so she would use mine when i was at school.

One day she came to check me out early, when we walked outside I was looking all around in the parking lot for the car but couldn't find it. She started walking down the sidewalk toward our house (we lived a couple blocks away) I asked her where the car was and she said it was gone.

We got home and my brother brought us to the car, it broke down on the side of the interstate when she was coming back from mississippi only 2 weeks after I bought the car. Anyway it overheated and cracked the block. At first I thought it was the headgasket so my oldest brother and I changed it just to have the same symptoms. (water hydrant from tailpipe and car ran like garbage).

anyway, 8 years later in October of '06 I was driving down a back street close to my house. I seen a my blue 5.0 92 tbird sitting out front of the previous owners house with a for sale sign on it. The car just had a new paint job and I could tell it was well maintained. I figured for ****s and giggles I would call them just to see how much they wanted for it. Well I spoke to the owners father and she said the car needed a new engine. I ended up buying the car for $500 and had it towed to my aunts house. Took me a total of about 15 minutes to get it running again. All it needed was a new ignition switch and oil.

Then in March of 08' I went to new jersey to pick up a set of 90 sc 5spds. Paid $2500 for them both and drove them back home.

Now after I blew the engine in my 92 5.0 I dropped the 351w and swapped it to an m5r2. I'm also in the process of restoring both of my neglected sc's to 100% stock condition.

if interested check out my swap thread in my sig

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I worked as a salesman at Capitol Motors Ford and Toyota shortly after high school and spent most of my downtime drooling over a 94 Cougar (right off the truck) until I sold the car (for over sticker price, no less!). I couldn't afford one, and shortly after tried to pursue college. Anyway, in 2006 my car was damaged badly and I decided to go out and "pay cash for one with rwd". Well, I ended up finding my Coug quite by accident and bought it immediately. It was EXACTLY the same as the one I drooled over in 94 except for a few very minor things. So, I never did end up getting a "one payment plan beater" like I set out to, but I couldn't be happier. Now that I've started my new job, the Coug finally gets to leave daily driver duty and start getting more seriousely massaged!!!! The only things I don't like about most stock MN12's is the fact that they are underpowered in my opinion, but that is why we mod!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Cheap, two door, RWD. I thought I was in love with Fox Cougars until I drove the 89, and I had to have it. Was the first and only V6 I have or will ever own if I can help it, but otherwise I still enjoy driving the 89.

The 97? I was looking for a Mark VIII and sick of finding expensive, numerous problems and not the color or LSC I was looking for, the Cougar was a go by and see it car, and I bought it.

right after I bought the Cougar found out I was starting a family, but a two door isn't that bad of a family car, and the MN12s have enough rear room for adults and kids in car seats (not too much though).

I still want a 89/90 XR7 5 speed and a 95 SC 5 speed, but I drive a total of 100 miles a month so I couldn't rationalize more cars :) I think a DOHC or PI swap and some steep gears in the 97 would cure me of wanting an SC/XR7 SC.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
My mother bought my 91 cougar new, and gave it to me when I turned 17. When I got the car, it already had over 200K miles on it, and I beat that car relentlessly for the entire year when I was 17, and it never let me down. Plus it rode and handled great, and was fast enough to get into trouble with, so I loved the car from the beginning. I have a lot of great memories in that car, and I'll never get rid of it.

Over the years, I have had other types of cars, but none of them match up to the MN12 platform in terms of the combination of comfort, handling, size, looks, performance, and general usefulness. There really hasn't been any other car made since that I would give up owning an MN12 for.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
I still want a 89/90 XR7 5 speed and a 95 SC 5 speed, but I drive a total of 100 miles a month so I couldn't rationalize more cars :) I think a DOHC or PI swap and some steep gears in the 97 would cure me of wanting an SC/XR7 SC.
There is no cure for wanting an SC! The only option is expensive treatment, namely OWNING an SC. After a few rounds of chasing intermittent vacuum leaks and drivability problems, you won't want an SC anymore, but shortly after you stop treatment, you will want one again. It's a life-long struggle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love stories!!! :)

In 99 my dad totaled our 89 Taurus and bought a silver 93 LX T-Bird 3.8 with 70,000 miles for $4600. It was CLEAN too!
I started driving it my senior year of high school in 04 ( I think I gave my parents like $500 or something for it). I LOVED the car: stylish, sporty, comfortable, awesome turning radius, and a FORD. The car is now pushing 300,000 miles and still drives great. (course the odo. is broken)
In November of 05 I had a little fender bender with a Impala (my fault) and never fixed the car. That was till November 06 when a 96 Pathfinder pulled out in front of me and totaled my car (not my fault) Because I got screwed over by his "insurance" company and the fact that the police officer filled out the report wrong, his "insurance" company did not pay for my car. So a couple thousand $$$ and several months later the 93 was back in business.
My dad then really wanted me to get another car, one with airbags and I had my mind set on another Bird. I told him: "You want me to have airbags? OK. Then I get a V8 too."
In March of 08 I found my white 95 sitting at a pawn shop. It had the leather, sunroof, V8!!! and a Xenon kit!!!! I was in love again. I paid $2600 for the car (they wanted $3600) with 135,000 mi (course the odo. is broken). Only problems are the airbag light, check engine light and the odo.
And that's that. I love the car and have no intentions of getting rid of it. I just wish I had more $$$ to do the mods I want.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2558850 (pics of the damage here)

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Mom and Dad traded our '80s Aerostar van for a '90 ('91?) electric red cougar, spoiler, sunroof, 5.0, looked sharp. That was the family car for a few years, and it made an impression. I also remember dad talking about prefering the Thunderbirds (he has a soft spot for them too, he had a '56 in high school and hung on to it for years), but the cougar was a lot car that the salesmen loaded-up and drove around town, so we got a deal on it.

Years later when I was looking for my first car after high-school I went looking for Tbirds. I looked at a pearl white '94 with a ton of miles and some shady history, and a cherry '92 5.0.... so I went home with the '92 champagne LX. And since then I've done my best to drive it into the ground :)

The cougar is long gone, but my Mom drives an electric blue '94 V8 to work when she can't find an excuse to take the '03 Cobra. I'm about to take off to South Korea for an unspecified amount of time, and I'm leaving my pile with Dad. The interior is falling apart, AC needs fixing, I won't even start with the stereo or dash (some unskilled thieves left their mark on those, along with the DS window trim), and the tranny is slowly going south. But it's still a blast to drive :) I just wish I had the time to finish the T5 and motor swaps, and maybe tidy up the interior. Oh well, I'm sure Dad'll at least keep the throttle cables limber while I'm gone.

(this pic doesn't even include the F150, Econoline pickup, my brother's '89 SC, or the ford-powered 'stude and Volvo 1800 :) . We've never held brand prejudices, but we seem to be blue regardless)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you must know. I paid $200 for mine. I bought it cause it had a V8 and I wanted some power. It did have a blown motor. So I put a reman in and drove it since. I fell in love with this car. It is a 93' 5.0L. Later on I had to have the tranny rebuilt. It is practically new. The suspension is all new. I just need some interior parts and a paint job and it will be like new. It used to have all kinds of go fast goodies. I took all of it off when gas started going up. I would proabably put it all back on but I sold it all. Now the bird may have to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My grandfather gave me his 91 cougar 3.8 before he passed away, I treated that car like it was my child, then it got totaled (not my fault). I read about supercoupes and thought they were sweet so I found one on craigslist for $750. Offered the guy $675 and went down there with a tow truck. Now it's mine and has a brand new motor and hauls ass :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
My roommate had a slightly modded 95 4.6 t-bird with a j-modded tranny mark8 TC etc etc. I drove its fro a couple months while carless and fell in love with it. Its had a little room, nice power, handled great. And the price tag in 2007 for a 94 was awesome at 2900 for a very well kept and well maintained bird. It just needed the typical suspension rebuild but I went way beyond that. I like the think of the bird as a modern muscle car because of its rwd v8 2 door configuration and the interior is quite sporty too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My 87 t-bird had gone to rust, I was driving a 94 Chevy astro Rockwood edition. I needed a car, and it was cheap. ($250) It needed a transmission ($350) and later we found out that it needed an engine too (Free). Grand Marquis Transmission, and a CrownVic police engine later. I had a car.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
my grandparents gave me the 93. when it developed a rod knock, it sat for a few months in storage. i was starting to miss driving it, so i bought another.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts