TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a rebiuld kit on summitracing.com for $600,and is it a good idea to rebiuld a 94 t-bird engine,cause i thougt it would be cheaper,because i need cheaper :D

·
5,650 Posts
I think it would be ok for a short block but you need different heads (96+ with F5 casting). The ones you have are junk and it would not be prudent to put those back on a fresh motor. You'll still need to have machine work done so figure another couple hundred dollars. Then having some heads reworked would be another few hundred, so in the end you'll have around $1,200 or so into it. You could find a good used one for cheaper than that.

·
5,650 Posts
It depends on what kind of motor you find. If it's high mileage it will be cheap (~$300-$500) but one with reasonably low miles might go for around $700 or so. You can use any 4.6L SOHC motor up to 1998 and use all your engine components on it. If possible look for a 96+ so that you get the benefit of the better head design.

I just searched on car-part.com and found a 4.6L with 35k miles for $1,000 and another with 57k for $600.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Or you can find a PI Explorer motor for reasonably cheap.I got mine for $1100 with 2k miles on it.Best money I ever spent.But because I was swaping it into a 95 car I had to find some extra parts.Alot of parts I bought new.But the motor had a Electronic Throttle body which involve me finding a new plenum,IAC,and a 96 Throttle body.I got that stuff from a member here for pretty cheap but I had to buy a new EGR valve.After everything was all said and done and installed I had spent just over $1800.Then I got it tuned for maximum perfomace which set me back another $500.

If you are to look at swaping a PI Explorer look for an 02 as you will not have to swap the Plenum and other top end parts.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
can you trust the people on car-parts.com??
car-part.com is a site the looks at the listed stock of hundreds of car junkyards over the country. Its not just one guy or one company. I'd assume that they are all professional car recycling companies. However each one is probably a little different. Im sure some have warranties for certain items. I bought a used tranny for my brothers tbird, and it had a 90 day replacement warranty. I thought that was decent. Do your homework, call around and ask lots of questions.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok,if i bought a engine for $600 and it work just fine what would it cost to make it go vrom vrom in my car,with no mods...thanks

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
If you want it to go "Vrom-vrom" you'll have to mod it, lol! But if you want a stock engine that'll give you more power then what you have in there now go with a 99+ PI, but your going to be paying more then $600.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no just a small upgrade for now,cause i have a very small job, and need to get a new engine soon,and possibly a tranny

1 - 20 of 40 Posts