TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for basic steps in rebuilding a top end of a motor. I'm going to use ported pi heads and a camshaft. Looking to make over 275 hp and have a more torque driven power plant. What simple things should I replace or address as I put the new cylinder heads on.

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
Wtf are you trying to say? Was there a question somewhere in that mess of words?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Looking for basic steps in rebuilding a top end of a motor. I'm going to use ported pi heads and a camshaft. Looking to make over 275 hp and have a more torque driven power plant. What simple things should I replace or address as I put the new cylinder heads on.
That's much better.

You'll find it hard to get the 275hp, but with a stage 2 cam with ported heads, it should be do able.

You'll also need a bigger fuel pump and injectors, and a tune to go with all that.

Personally, I'd do brake upgrades first, and go thru the suspension.

If a suspension bushing hasn't been replaced, it's 25+years old, and not long for this world when you start beating on it.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
+1 to start with the suspension. Build a solid foundation first.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,632 Posts
If you want it torquey you’ll want to advance whatever cam you use to the edge of avoiding PTV contact, but there is always a tradeoff in doing so, ie sacrificing high RPM peak horsepower. 275 at the wheels is certainly achievable with ported heads and a stage 2 cam, but torque driven is about the opposite of how I would describe them, it’s just not going to happen with such low displacement. You want torque AND 275 horsepower you’ll want a high stall torque converter and 4.xx gears

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah watching YouTube I know there bottom ends are ok. I want to do a leak down test to see if I am losing alot of pressure. I am definitely doing a ported head as a start. And seeing what money I have left over for such things. Trans converter, diff gears. But alot of people here said suspension first so I will consider that.. Plus I am building a pi motor from a 02 crown vic. I kinda got convinced having 2 motors might be a good option. But after looking it over I do need to fully examine this extra motor to see how well it was mainted

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
+1 on working the suspension first.

There's no point in having a butt load of power and torque if it can't be applied to the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts