TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well..think my bird is dead..but in any case.. i like the car wld like to restore it.. i want a quik car for a daily driver.. maybe eventually take it to the track and see how it does..but i want a dependable driver with ok fuel milage..so trying to stay away from the v8s....so the choices are..find a different car all togethor... or get a remanufactured engine... or get engine rebuilt .....and maybe get the mp supercharger kit...... ok what is every ones thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no clue....it still runs..idles smooth..but here is the thread on that..http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=104266
but any how.. hopefully i can get disability..im screwed up..lol..but any who..might get some cash and cars are one of the few things i like..well besides women ..except there more expensive..lol.. any how i am planning on dropping like 5 grand in motor and upgrades if i keep it.. just not sure what direction to go with it. i dont want to buy another used car and have an old tired motor in it as well and waste more money..already got this car..and if the motor is toast in it..then i am not going to get any money out of it..so i think it wld be better just to keep it and put a fresh one it.. just what way should i go..get a reman. or rebuild.. dont want a drag motor..just want to give it a little bit more..that is why i am thinking the mp sc upgrade...but if i rebuild i can put different stuff in to the block and port things out and so forth..but how is all going to effect fuel economy and so forth... or just get a reman and slap the mp sc kit on...i dont know..

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'm in the same Dilamia (sp?) as you with my '91 XR7, I've owned it for 10 1/2 years now.. With the Engine, Body and Suspension (rear) work it needs, and also Interior work (Mostly rejuvinating the seat foam) it ALMOST seems not worth it..
I can see myself sicking like nearly $10,000 into it.. (mostly towards the engine :) ) But also look at it as `I can use that $10,000 towards buying a house' Since i do own 3 other cars (2 of which are projects in themselves) so techincally do i REALLY need to fix it up??

HECK i would trade my '96 for body work on my '91, and trade my '89 for the suspension work :) The engine i can make the 289 out of my '66 comet work (has like 700 miles since it's rebuild :) )

My '89 was gonna be a Parts car to take bits and pieces off of to try and fix up my '91.. But i couldn't turn it into a parts car :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
*Dilemma

Your best bet, in terms of reliability, is a 5.0L or 351w, which will bolt right up and with the right engine mounts, will sit there real comfortable...

A 3.8L SC is not a good idea for a daily driver because every day it will be something else new going wrong. Everyday... :( Speaking from experience.

I had a 5-speed. I wish I'd put a 5.0L or 351w in it instead of selling it. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hhmm well i like car but i dont know...cant aford a whole lot...going to be getting ssi hopefully due to a back injury..sucks cant work or should i say find reasonable work i can do and i love cars..so i will get some cash up front...then be stuck on payments..but i dont do much and i would like a nice car to work on and maybe do a little show and tell with it in the future..i dont know...bout to give up on it..lol.. so what ever work i have done to it..will have to be done by a shop..

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have had 8 SC`s and 3 LX`s. Guess what I still have 2 of the LX`s and I don`t need to open the hood but once every 2 months. Dont get me wrong I love SC`s but daily driver at over 12 years for the youngest ones, like they said its one thing after another. So how much you want for the car:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just a little to far away for me but im sure someone local would buy it.
These are the kind of cars where you need to do most everything yourself or you will be in the poor house with a car that as of right now has no resale value.
Sad but true.

·
Banned
36 Posts
either sell her, part her, or fix her... just make sure its away from these vultures.. sell on sccoa.

no offense guys, but i'm partial to my sc's, and my 95 hasnt needed anything but a shifter rebuild.

take that back.. shifter assembly rebuild AND a foglight bulb...

·
Registered
199 Posts
acceptable fuel mileage and durability...those are two qualities I would not associate with blown 3.8L....but would attach to the 4.6L.
acceptable fuel mileage? When my car was mostly stock, it would easily get 20 mpg around town and as high as 28 mpg on trips. Can 4.6's get that mileage? (I'm seriously asking, because I don't know).

As for durability, with the exception of transmission problems, I haven't had any durability problems. Granted, I only drive it about to work about 3-5 times per month. I'd drive it more often, but I don't trust the other driver's in the bumper-to-bumper traffic I sit in.

My SC has over 120k miles on it. However, I will admit the front suspension only has about 40k (rebuilt while swapping spindles for 13" rotor upgrade) and the engine only about 15k (rebuilt after blowing both head gaskets and breaking the ring lands on a piston while drag racing at the track.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think the SC is any less reliable than any other 12-18 year old car....they all need maintenance and a lot of them never got regular service during the years.

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
acceptable fuel mileage? When my car was mostly stock, it would easily get 20 mpg around town and as high as 28 mpg on trips. Can 4.6's get that mileage? (I'm seriously asking, because I don't know).

As for durability, with the exception of transmission problems, I haven't had any durability problems. Granted, I only drive it about to work about 3-5 times per month. I'd drive it more often, but I don't trust the other driver's in the bumper-to-bumper traffic I sit in.

My SC has over 120k miles on it. However, I will admit the front suspension only has about 40k (rebuilt while swapping spindles for 13" rotor upgrade) and the engine only about 15k (rebuilt after blowing both head gaskets and breaking the ring lands on a piston while drag racing at the track.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think the SC is any less reliable than any other 12-18 year old car....they all need maintenance and a lot of them never got regular service during the years.
Yes the 4.6 can get that mileage, and better. When I had my 94 4.6 cougar, I got a best of 31mpg highway on a trip from north carolina to NJ. It would usually get between 27-29mpg highway.

The SCs aren't bad if you keep up on the maintenance, and you can do all the work yourself, including diagnosing drivability problems. I have had my 89XR7 for a little over a year now, and in that time I have put over 20K miles on it, and the only down time it saw was a few days when I did a clutch and motor mounts in it, so it has been pretty good to me. I have had more problems with it though, but they were all little things that were pretty cheap to fix. I've had to rebuild front suspension, replace the shifter, DIS module (was causing intermittent misfire), leaking valve cover gasket (passenger side luckily), a couple coolant leaks, multiple vacuum leaks, washer fluid hoses leaking, and I had to replace the MAF. Of all those things, the only one that cost me any real money was the clutch and motor mounts, and none of them have ever left me stranded in the car, so they were more of an annoyance than anything else. Doing the work on the car myself, I haven't had to put much money into it, but if I had to pay someone to do all the stuff I've done to my car (including diagnosing the DIS module, MAF sensor, and vacuum leaks, all of which caused similar drivability problems) then I would have spent a lot of money, and probably had quite a bit of down time. If you can do all the work on the car yourself, then they are great. If you can't, get something else. On the bright side though, if you can keep an SC running good, you can work on anything, so they are great cars to learn a lot on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
90 Sc

i.ve had a few scs , autos, 5-speeds from 89-94. i got bitten a few years back when i had the 2.3 turbo coupe boy that car was fun to drive and for a 4 cly go was no problem. then the sc came into my mists..if ur handy, have time and don't mind getting dirty the sc is for u...to get 1 in farliy good running order is a start ,but u have to remember the sc was and still is a fun car to drive, it is still a high performance car , like all they do need to be maintained. some like bmws,minicoopers, grand nationals, but u wanna go fast.it take time, money n elbow grease lol. i/ve done my abs,h/gs......front end....etc...i drive my 90 sc everyday......when it going good it gooes.when it breaks down....i pretty much know what to exspect....any how. any car u love new ,old.....is ur prefrence..no 1 likes their car to break down.when it hapeens u deal with it....sice ur back is out.take the time to do research on what u want to do. as far as gas mileage..........ah it ok hell ny gas is $2,95 a gallon for premeuim (high test what ever i drive my sc ha.:D

·
Registered
532 Posts
$5,000.00 .........

ARP studs , cooper head gaskets , new water pump , new O2 sensors ,and get the trany rebuilt . and some true 2.5" dual exhaust .

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
or put a 460 in it and never worry about reliability or go power again

1 - 20 of 35 Posts