TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that when this car had cut springs on it, the Koni adjustable shocks on the front saw some serious abuse (because of the cut springs) When they are set to their softest setting, the front of the car really floats and bounces, like a car with bad/worn out shocks would do.

Set at half way, they are noticably stiffer, but there is still quite a bit of bounce to them.

All the way firm, they don't float so much, but they don't feel nearly as firm as they should.

I want to add a set of Koni shocks to the rear of the car, but new konis in the rear and old beat up konis in the front wouldn't be an ideal setup.

Should I just spring for a full brand new set and swap the new inserts out for the old in my front shock housings?

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Can you even get them? I thought Koni quit making them, and the last ones in the USA were bought earlier this year.

If you can, then yep, go for a full brand new set. If all you can get is inserts, then that. If you can't get anything - well, I just got a pair of KYB GR-2 for my Cougar.

RwP

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I can rebuild them? That's just as good I guess...are the rears still available?

hmmm Maybe Tokico blues with whatever those red lowering springs are that come with them are the way to go (who makes those anyway?)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i bet those cut springs had a lot to do with it. run it with springs that dont suck and go from there.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Lol hey Earl I'll trade you my tokico blue front shocks for those worn out konis with their adjustment knobs if your ever interested ;)

Reactions: SILVRBRD

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol hey Earl I'll trade you my tokico blue front shocks for those worn out konis with their adjustment knobs if your ever interested ;)
How do you like that setup front /rear?

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
ive got the tokico blues front and rear on cut linear rate lowering springs and love it. no bounce whatsoever at high or low speed... however, anything more than a mild bump is almost jarring. theyve been on there probably 4 years and still feel great. id highly recommend the tokicos (though not over real shocks ie: konis)

-John

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
How do you like that setup front /rear?
I like it overall however I wish I could have afforded to hop onto the koni train before it left the station for good. Same with bilsteins. I wish I had konis all around for adjustability. For a spirited daily driver I love the tokico setup it works really well, firm but not overly harsh, however I drive my car like a maniac and I'd love to have adjustable shocks for future track events or if/when I branch off into autocross. I've even been looking at cobra convertible adjustable rear shocks and qa1's for the front. For now the tokicos meet and exceed my needs however they won't always.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,602 Posts
I shouldn't have said bouncy in regard to the front blues on mine but they are a bit floaty on bumps on expressways after ~70mph or so. They are pretty much the best shocks on the market for these now though. The rears I have no complaints about what so ever, in fact I planned to get the Koni front inserts when they were available and leave the rears as is.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I have konis on all four corners on my dd and it rocks.

This car has the full JL bracing set, with racecougars RSTB.

With standard V8 33gg springs, it's a beast. :) I think sport springs might loosen fillings with these...

I had ordered a set for the car with the sport springs, but they cancelled on me. :(

Chris, you beat me to offering to buy the worn out ones, lol.

Earl, I'd get them rebuilt. Nothing else will feel like that, trust me.

The gabriel shocks I had were great for ~6 months, lol.

I bought a set of OEM sport shocks (NOS) to go with my sport springs, since koni has abandoned us. :)

If I can't deal with those, I'll buy a set of koni racing inserts, and adapt. :)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Even though my tokico rear shocks are noticeably firm I'm thinking about upgrading to 03/04 cobra IRS tokico D series adjustables for better adjustability at the track. Muhahaha!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I will be running non IRS Mustang rear shocks in my car. Koni Adjustable Yellows.

Why?

Its lighter, and lower than most cars on here.

Will update on how they are once the car is back together.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,602 Posts
If I can't deal with those, I'll buy a set of koni racing inserts, and adapt. :)
As far as I can tell the most platform specific part of those inserts physically are the way the shaft mounts to the shock mount/spring perch.

I'm thinking lately about making a pair of plates with a spherical bearing sandwiched in the center (same as what CC plates for strut cars use) to take a different insert and go in place of the stock shock/spring mount. Bonus would be the plates could be machined for aftermarket coilover mounts:D

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
As far as I can tell the most platform specific part of those inserts physically are the way the shaft mounts to the shock mount/spring perch.

I'm thinking lately about making a pair of plates with a spherical bearing sandwiched in the center (same as what CC plates for strut cars use) to take a different insert and go in place of the stock shock/spring mount. Bonus would be the plates could be machined for aftermarket coilover mounts:D
That's a great idea. :)

The hole in the existing mount is too small, as you've also noticed.

I'm wondering if I couldn't make a mount similar to the stock one, possibly recycling some parts, that would have the larger sleeve with a metal disc attached to keep it from going thru the mount; all encased in silicone rubber. (There are a lot of rtv rubber types out there...)

Making it fit aftermarket springs is a plus for sure.

It could even look similar to the stock one, if you wanted.

With our suspension, I don't think there's anything to be gained by having it adjustable; I need to look around sccoa.

For the lower, I think I have a set of shocks that will hold the inserts; I'll thread a cap to hold it in place, lol. I'm adding adjustable perches for sure. :)

For what the inserts cost, I could have a holder fabbed and x-rayed, lol.

The bottom adjustment for the double adjustable inserts is a problem on our cars... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Anyone who would trade well used Konis for even brand new Tokicos is "just not right" in the head.

I had adjustable Konis on my '85 T-bird since 1986 and I sold it in 2009 to make room, it had over 145K. Friend bought it, now it's up over 170K. I used the Konis on a medium setting Frt and Rear, the fronts were easiest to adjust with a knob. The rears you had to loosen and conmpress and twist a click.

I'm still not sure if it's the car I miss .... or my Konis? Damn fine shock, even with miles and years on them. If not broken or bent, they are likely better than anything you'll put on in their place.

JMHO. I too would trade some new Tokico Blues for them.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right or wrong...in the head...I would trade these straight across for a brand new (all four) set of tokico blues with the lowering springs they come with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts