TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help redoing my SVO car... need help with:
1. Piston and head combo(right compression)
2. Port Blower worth cost w/smaller pulley
ETC.

I have 17cc forged pistons, can I use a flatter piston? Do I really need forged?

Please chime in... kinda wanna MAX this car out

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
I need help redoing my SVO car... need help with:
1. Piston and head combo(right compression)
2. Port Blower worth cost w/smaller pulley
ETC.

I have 17cc forged pistons, can I use a flatter piston? Do I really need forged?

Please chime in... kinda wanna MAX this car out
I'm sure that there are bits and pieces on here if you search. However, I'm not a 4.6 guy so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you are just getting your car running again and want it to run reliably, I would say yes to the forged pistons. You're doing forced induction so they are good insurance.

I'll leave the rest to our friends here.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
11.56:1 compression is what I'm running with E85 and an SVO. The preferred CR for an SVO is 9.5:1

I have both E85 and Gas tunes. My car is a Flex Fuel car. ?

On the E85 she runs like a dream. It's cold-natured on start up but once the engine warms up she runs unbelievably well. Just this past Saturday on my way to Cars and Coffee I smoked a Dodge Charger SRT (Scat Pack?) Anyway, the one with the 392 badge on the side. He thought he was HotShit, He didn't know what hit him. I bet he had that stupid Tucker Carlson look on his face as my tail lights grew smaller and smaller. LOL ... but I digress ...

93 pump gas WILL NOT cut it at this compression ratio. I had trouble with detonation when running premium pump gas and had to add TORCO Accelerator Race Gas concentrate to get the detonation under control. At about $23 a can for TORCO (1 can per tank of gas) on top of the cost of premium pump gas you do not want to go this route except as an emergency fall back plan when you can't source E85.

You do know that to run E85 you've got to beef up the fuel system with a bigger pump, better fuel pressure regulator and bigger injectors.

I'm running a FORE 405 fuel pump and 60 lb injectors. You can read all my build details here: 1995 SVO Bird

Any questions I'll do my best to answer or get the answer for you.

Now, I have some questions for you:
  • What's your budget?
  • What's your project time-frame?
  • What's your plan?

Reactions: MaddMartigan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Budget: 4.5k (Depends
2. 2 months maybe
3. Plans: Build this car strictly low end Monster... I'm satisfied with suprising folks like you did that SRT... Not looking for track times or impressive numbers...Just wanna FLY off line.

NOW... Like I mentioned I have 17cc pistons. In order to get high compression with these pistons, would I need performance heads (trickflow or ported PI) right? Or is it better visevera? Flatter Piston with stock heads? Which is better for bumping up compression? I have ported PI manifolds, are these good for low end torque or headers?

This is Ricky's old grey 96. I believe it's set up for E85. There's a station close by so I dont mind strickly using only e85

I was going to buy Hyper(wateva) pistons. I didnt thing forged was necessary being that SVOs dont usually go over 420hp. I dont mind buying more pistons if those 17cc piston arent enought for the compression i need.

Help me find the best head/piston combo for my goals... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Oh, you got Ricky's old car. Hell, talk to him or Rob about what you've got and the best way to go with it.

It's not about which is better. You want what works! Like I said 9.5:1 is what you want. Don't mess with stock or PI heads. Get the TrickFlow's in a 44cc size. They're also available in 38cc for higher compression but, no, don't get the smaller size. Why are you wanting higher compression for a blown application anyway? Yes, it can be done; I'm proof of that, but ideally you want the compression down.

I recommend Diamond or Mahle pistons. If you're doing a build ALWAYS go with the forged pistons. DO NOT cheap out on a build. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

If you want to fly you need a good TC and gears. I think Ricky had 3.73's or 4.10's in that car. So you're good there. Do you know what gears and TC it has in it? Which cams does it have?

By my calculations with a 3.55 bore and 3.54 stroke (Gunn or Martigan, correct me if I'm wrong here):

The 44cc TF heads with 17cc pistons will yield a 9.6:1 CR.

The 38cc TF heads with 17cc pistons will yield a 10.45:1 CR.

Reactions: MaddMartigan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you can run high compression if your gonna be running e85 and meth

Why do I want higher compression? Well whats the reason you have 11.56 instead of 9.5? Also would like to switch to 12lb pulley.

Is your blower ported?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can and should are two entirely different things. I'd stick with the info TM gave you. The other thing you should do is get a good set of MLS head gaskets. If you do decide to go higher compression you can get MLS in thinner sizes.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
I run Cometic MLS gaskets on my car. Keep in mind that the one's I run are not the right size for your car.

Here are the one's that I have: Cometic MLS Head Gaskets C5502-030

Here's the master list: Cometic MLS Head Gaskets

I thought you can run high compression if your gonna be running e85 and meth

Why do I want higher compression? Well whats the reason you have 11.56 instead of 9.5? Also would like to switch to 12lb pulley.

Is your blower ported?
The reason I have such high compression is because the pistons that came in the 5.3L/323 ci BOSS short block that I bought were pre-installed - there was no economical way to change them out.

Here's the block: 5.3L MODULAR STROKER SHORTBLOCK

Switching to the 12lb pulley for your car is fine, it's the same pulley that I run.

No, my blower is not ported. Having a small blower on top of that monster engine keeps the engine safe by not over loading the engine. It's a compromise. I could put a larger blower on my engine but I would have to completely rebuild the fuel system, (add a second large pump, replace the lines and injectors), get a bigger MAF and make many other expensive changes.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta do research of 5.3 stroker vs 20 over Teksid...I remember a Cobra making Good number on 14lbs on 5.3 stroker. A 5.3 would be further in future anyways with that price.

So your saying my 17cc pistons is gonna bring 9.5:1 with trickflow 44cc heads... I want I little more compression than that if I have build block with e85 and meth... I could ditch the 17cc for 10cc to bump up? Is 11.0:1 a safe goal to shoot for with built block e85 meth?

How do Fully Ported PI compare to 44cc Trickflow?
Dont mean to be an Askhole:sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
No, not 9.5:1, read it again.

The 44cc TF heads with 17cc pistons will yield a 9.6:1 CR.

The 38cc TF heads with 17cc pistons will yield a 10.45:1 CR.

Well, as you've got your heart set on compression keep the 17cc pistons and just buy the 38cc TF heads.

10:45 is plenty. Honestly, If I could have gotten a block with lower compression pistons I would have.

Yes, you can do 11:0:1. As I said previously, I'm running 11.56:1. With the right set up you can go at least that high with E85.

TF heads are heads and shoulders (pun intended) above any ported or unported PI head you can find. Just don't waste your money, do it right the first time and buy the TF heads to begin with; if you're feeling really frisky buy the TF Race heads like I have.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ALOT for the help... Ill stick with pistons and grab the TF 38cc and a forged crank and whatever else... Ill just roll around in stock pi motor until this is Built. Last thing is exhaust...APPRECIATE IT TM

Do you have a part number for the Racing TF 38cc?

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, I should log in more often.

let me ask you this. Are you ever gonna upgrade the baby blower? Is 400 hp gonna be enough? If you ever plan to run a bigger blower grab the 44cc heads and keep the compression low.

I run a stock bore 4.6 on E85 with 44cc tfs heads.

On top of that staying lower compression has the added benefit of allowing you to run pump gas if needed.

Just my .002, good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a MUST for me to keep stock hood. Cowl hoods on the Tbirds is NOT my thing. My goal at the end of the day is to fit Max power under stock hood, and it seems SVO is about best thing that fits...If you know another combo that'll fit let me know. I wish a I can fit 4v with small Twnsrw

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I just came aross a good deal on some arp main studs. Are these neccessary for the power the SVO would put out? Or would I be fine with stock/etc.. For $150 torqued once. Good Deal? Overrated?

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Use the ARP studs. I'm not sure about the price but if you've got the heads off go ahead and upgrade the studs. That is a no brainer.

The ones you want are 156-4301. Make sure you're getting the right ones.

Edit: I just looked it up. I paid $226 for mine so, hell yeah, $150 is a deal.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
I'm pretty sure KevinM had some head lift on his stock block with stock bolts and his SVO. Not sure what getting the block line honed does. When I first got my ARP studs Rob installed them on an Explorer aluminum block. They were then transferred over to my BOSS block when Rob did the last engine swap. I've never had any experience with or without them on a stock block.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts