TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good snow tires to use with OEM sport wheels (16") that are not too expensive?

Any feedback with specific brands and where you got them from will be great.
(I thought i'd ask here before i start "shopping" on tire rack, etc)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I ran 4 Michelin Arctic Alpins on stock 16" Sport rims for several winters when my car was still a daily driver. Not sure if those are even still made, but they worked great for me in Michigan snows.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I used Dunlops when I used to drive a bird in the snow. They worked great and were quite a bit cheaper than Blizzaks. I did find Blizzaks on closeout for the Mazda last winter and they work really well too.

-Miller

·
Registered
218 Posts
Firestone Indy 500s got me around great in my 95.

My ex's Monte Carlo had General Altimax Arctics on it and I LOVED those tires last winter. We got those from TireRack. They weren't too badly priced IIRC.

I'm going studded this winter on my Monte. Check your laws if interested in studded tires.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
Yes, yes... Indy 500s definitely do the job. I used them on my 97 from January 08 through April of this year and they're going on the Cougar when it starts to get cold. Not snow tires, but probably one of the better all season options out there... price isn't too bad either.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Michelin x-ice is what i use and man they grip. Need them up here Eh!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My ex's Monte Carlo had General Altimax Arctics on it and I LOVED those tires last winter. We got those from TireRack. They weren't too badly priced IIRC.
General is owned by Continental, who also own Gislaved from Sweden. The Altimax Arctics are copies of the Gislaved Nordfrost tires, and are awesome winter boots, especially for the price.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We love the Altimx HP all seasons we have on wife's Elantra....so good in rain.
nice to hear that the winter version is also good...for the price, that might be my best bet...

Are there any limitations on dry/normal weather when having dedicated winter tires like the Altimax Arctics? i mean i can still drive on the hwy at normal speeds in normal weather, right?
(Yeah I never had any snow tires on before...)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks cudaz,
So I can use the winter tires suggested above with my existing OEM sport wheels, right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Firestone Winterforce! year after year. if you get lots of ice get them studed.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I use general UHP grabbers year round on both of my vehicles. They have met or exceeded all of my expectations on every level. Well except for maybe tire life, but what do you expect when you drive like me.
Alan

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Altimax Arctics did seem to wear pretty quickly on her car when the weather got back to a respectable temp. It was only the fronts that went quick so I blame it on a number of things. The rears however seemed to hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Good tires, but they are actually all-season truck tires that have the winter snowflake rating. They are a nice choice if for all year round if you are not going to use dedicated winter rubber. When using another set of wheels for the winter only, it makes more sense really to get something that are specific winter tires.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback...
I really thought the General AAs were a dedicated winter tire ... even if it isn't, i guess It might still be enough for NC, I think...

so what ARE the dedicated winter tires? I didn't see any way to search just for "dedicated" tires on tire rack..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Coming from a guy in the frozen north, Blizzacks work xcellent on ice and snow. Guys up here can drive their Mustang Gt's even, with those on and a couple sandbags in the back for weight.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...
I really thought the General AAs were a dedicated winter tire ... even if it isn't, i guess It might still be enough for NC, I think...

so what ARE the dedicated winter tires? I didn't see any way to search just for "dedicated" tires on tire rack..
The General AA tires are winter only, I was referring to the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred mentioned in the post above my previous one. Two thumbs up on the Generals for sure.

cheers
Ed N.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts