TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SC is a 94 with 117,xxx miles on it now. When is the "Average" time the supercharger "dies", or so I've heard it called. Is their anything you can do to lengthen it's life or "recharge" the system? Any thoughts???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our superchargers don't die, they will last as long as the car. The only thing you have to do is make sure that there is enough SC oil in it to keep the bearings lubed. If the seal behind the pulley leaks, you lose the oil and the bearings will start to rattle but they are easily replaced. A couple of companies upgrade them to produce more HP but its still the same basic supercharger. Good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the companies that upgrade them? Is there any other "Performance" Parts you can use, besides porting, etc: Any thoughts???

·
Registered
319 Posts
magnumpowers.com
supercoupeperformance.com
mn-12performance.com

in order of relevance......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was told that if you remove the super charger plate (the top cover I beleive) that there is 400 horses at the crank. Is this true?

·
Registered
244 Posts
birdmandan said:
I was told that if you remove the super charger plate (the top cover I beleive) that there is 400 horses at the crank. Is this true?
I dont think so. Whoever told you that either doesn't know a think about supercoupes or was yanking your chain

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think what they might have meant (sorta) is that you can replace that top cover with a better one. The stock one kinda flattens out the air passage, and the revised one (aka the "raised supercharger top") is less restrictive. It also increases the plenum volume.

See this link at magnumpowers:http://www.magnumpowers.com/tbrd_classic_top.html

As for 400 at the crank, uh, I doubt it. 265 I would believe. (on a 94-95)

Anyway, whoever said that coulda been talking about something completely different, but that's what I think they probably meant.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

That's what the stock top looks like. Pretty small area. It measures 3.31 sq inch. Normal aftermarket areas run from 4.1-5.2 sq inch.

Stock 94-95 Supercoupes are 230 at the crank

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes, that's what I was talking about. Thanks for the pic.

BTW: I meant, I believe you could increase the stock 94-95 output to about 265 with the top. Maybe not ... but I meant those numbers as possible totals with the raised top.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the correction. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up! (Mine never were up; I have a lowly 140hp, hahaha!)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think whoever was telling you about removing the supercharger "plate" your engine would make more horsepower in a sense, but not have as much. What I mean is the SC actually uses some of our engine's HP to give us alot more.... if you had 300 hp at the crank I would say you have a damn good SC though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts