TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a solid rear end that will run on the highway I occassionally need to drive a 2000 mile round trip... at 90 mph or so.

My current one ('93 LX) is covered by a TSB for howling noise but the "solution" was to swap gears to "minimize the noise" - at my expense. Consequently I've put up with the noise for a long time and now I'm contemplating putting something in there that would be compatible with the 4.2L swap when my 3.8L finally needs replacing. What should I be looking for at the junkyard if money isn't too big a problem? Thinking maybe I just need to be looking for an SC or 302 and regearing it before I put it in? Wouldn't mind having traction lock though not a necessary thing the way I drive....

Yes? no? opinions?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm very :confused: .

You're contemplating a 4.2L swap when your 3.8 goes as opposed to a 5.0 or 5.8??? Odd - have you considered computer issues between the 'old' style 3.8L engine and then modern 4.2L?

As per gearing, I'm assuming you're looking for good milage? Then 2.73's are your best bet. But - good bye acceleration! BTW - I'm not familiar with 'howling' - is that just typical gear 'whine'? With 4.30's, I get gear whine, but it's very tolerable for the enjoyment they produce :D!

Finding a pod from a wrecked/scrapped SC/XR7 shouldn't be hard, and it will be 'set-up' for you already as far as bearings/tollerences/shims go, but depending on age/milage, the traction locks may also be worn - and you wouldn't have posi anymore. Depending on how long or how many miles you plan on keeping/putting on your car, I'd suggest starting with a fresh rear end with brand new gears and bearings.

If you don't mind my asking, where does a 2000 mile round trip take you?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The mn12 is IRS, not solid. I have not heard of anyone with a solid rear end in their mn12.

the engine won't matter to the pumpkin.

get an FRPP unit. you can swap it yourself, it has trac-lok and it even weighs abit less ~8lbs.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
That much of a difference????

GreenBird said:
The mn12 is IRS, not solid. I have not heard of anyone with a solid rear end in their mn12.

the engine won't matter to the pumpkin.

get an FRPP unit. you can swap it yourself, it has trac-lok and it even weighs abit less ~8lbs.
8lbs is what the weight difference is between the aluminum and iron carrier?
Wow,that might not seem like alot but it still is lighter.
Thanks,
Chrid

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MercCougarXR7 - re: 4.2 swap. I'm more of a 6 cylinder kinda guy (an old fart) don't need the speed and don't want to spend the $$$ involved in a V8 swap. I realize the initial cost might be lower but in the long run the insurance and my heavy right foot would far outweigh it. Not to mention the temptation to start "building" the V8 - I'm not so old as to not remember where that goes. ;-) As far as the computer probs I'd use the one out of whatever donor vehicle the motor comes from and/or look into a custom chip. I've also considered just doing some porting and exhaust and maybe a cam to the exisiting 3.8 but from what I can tell though the 4.2 is essentially the "new and improved" 3.8? All the accessories will bolt right on... maybe some hood clearance issues. Am I getting it wrong? Always glad to hear suggestions....

re: Gear whine - mine is a howl. Might've been a whine at first but soon as the bumper to bumper expired (well, at 38K) so did my quiet rear end. TSB 97811 APR 97 covers it according to my local dealer.

re: mileage So you're saying rebuilding the existing one may be more economical than a swap? How would a 3.45 or 3.55 ratio work? Seems that might give me a little more jump when I kick her without taking away all my mileage or top end. That round trip is NW Florida to SE Va and if you've ever driven I95 through the Carolinas you'll understand the need for top end - I just don't want to get run over.

GreenBird - I'll have to admit I haven't been paying attention, something of a noob on this. Just started looking around here... who or what is "an FRPP unit"? And IRS? That the same guys that take my money every April? :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well, IRS means "independent rear suspension". So the gear pumpkin just bolts to the car, instead of being part of an axle housing.

And FRPP is Ford Racing Performance Parts. The part you might be interested in is here:
Ford Racing (product view)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts