TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get the 18×9 Saleen speedstars from the Custom Wheel Shop. What I would like to know is what tire size works the best with minimal/no rub AND what are the best manufacturers?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Well, what are you looking for in a tire? And when you say "the best manufacturers", what do you mean specifically? The best for snow, all season, family car tires, street legal slicks? Then, there's also your budget. How much are you willing to spend on a tire BEFORE installation and other fees a tire shop will charge you. I'm no tire expert, but these are important things to know for whomever will answer your question on tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work in a tire shop, so I will do the mounting and balancing.
For tire style, it's going to be more street and strip.
For make/manufacturers, I wasn't sure if there is better quality tire from one to another

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Are your original tires 225/60/16? If so, 245/45/18 are the closest match, at 26.7" Outside diameter vs 26.6". The wheels from Custom Wheel Shop (and Supercoupe Performance) have 36mm offset, so they won't rub.

I'm running 255/40/18 on my wheels (with 35mm offset) and have no rubbing issues, but I'm only 26" Outside Diameter, and only slightly wider.

As far as quality tires goes, I run General GMax AS-03's because of how well they performed on my 1999 Mustang GT, and my satisifaction with other General tires (the Alitmax Arctic I will put up to the Pepsi Challenge against a Blizzak any day of the week) and the Altimax RT's are a good tire. I like the AS-03 for a "performance" car because they are an all season, have a 480 AA A treadwear rating, communicate their limitations well, and have a nice, aggressive tread pattern. They're about the same price as the BFG Comp II, and have dramatically more tread life, and enough traction to get you home if you encounter a random snowstorm (relatively common here in MN, even though my car is a spring/summer/early fall only car).

Your mileage may vary, but I like them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the website won't let me check out for those wheels. Does everyone usually call The Custom Wheel Shop? It's not that I'm really pressed to have the wheels, just wanted to know shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts