TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have a motor. It's a 97 npi. It most definitely needs a rebuild. I'll probably put pi heads instead of trick flow for 2 reasons. Price and I don't plan on going over 400 hp ever. Which brings me to the question. Should I go forged or stock rebuild? I may boost it down the road but it will always be a daily driver and I'll limey never go over 400 hp. More realistically somewhere in the mid to high 3's is where I'll end up. I'm not sure of the reliability of these motors at that hp level. I think I read they are good to 500 or so. No spray will ever go on this engine either by the way. So if I don't need to go forged what is some good reliable rebuild kits?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I dunno man, the potential of the Trick Flow heads are hard to beat. Daily driving with them are easy. Not only that, but their design is an improvement over the PI heads. How many miles are on the shortblock? You may not even have to do a rebuild, just a head swap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno man, the potential of the Trick Flow heads are hard to beat. Daily driving with them are easy. Not only that, but their design is an improvement over the PI heads. How many miles are on the shortblock? You may not even have to do a rebuild, just a head swap.
No clue. But the exterior looks pretty rough and oily. So I'd say a lot. What Are trick flows going for now a days anyway?

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
$2200 for the pair. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Didn't know summit sold them. That's with no cams though. Still a bit pricey. I know it's worth it but still. But either set of heads I choose to go with, I should still be OK with a stock bottom end correct?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
If you're staying N/A, keep a max. RPM of 6500 and you'll be fine. If you go F/I, I'd look into better internals.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're staying N/A, keep a max. RPM of 6500 and you'll be fine. If you go F/I, I'd look into better internals.
Even if the power level stays under 400? Hmmm. I was hoping to keep the engine build (minus the blower) under $3000. I don't want to build it twice though so I guess I'll heed the t-bird vet's warning. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
The weak powdered rods and hypereutectic pistons won't take too kindly to it. Yeah, you could do it, but longevity becomes a serious question. Especially with a PI head on an NPI bottom end, which ups the compression.

Don't under-build, over-build. Less chance something will go wrong later. If your goal is 400 RWHP, build the car to withstand 500 RWHP.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Put the heads on any 2 valve engine.
Don't overrev, over 6000 rpm.

You WILL NOT be disappointed.

The best single modification that can be made to a 2V modular.

·
3,734 Posts
Cool. Didn't know summit sold them. That's with no cams though. Still a bit pricey. I know it's worth it but still. But either set of heads I choose to go with, I should still be OK with a stock bottom end correct?
Just get yourself a set of stock PI cams. They can be had for cheap, like $50 cheap. Heck, some people practically give them away. Then you too can have 315 BHP. :D

No clue. But the exterior looks pretty rough and oily. So I'd say a lot. What Are trick flows going for now a days anyway?
Looks can be quite deceiving. I've seen some rough looking 60,000 mile motors. Mine has 167,xxx miles right now, you'd never know it unless I told you. I had the headswap done about 5,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm a direct with trickflow I can save u some

Robert

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would the compression ratio be with trickflow heads on an npi block? The 38 cc would be like 11 or so right? What about the 44's? I may need to get different piston dishes. However, this engine will need to run pretty good n/a until I can afford a blower.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts

·
3,734 Posts
Mine is around 11.2:1. Premium fuel is mandatory. If you go with 44's, you can possibly still run regular, if you had to. 10.2:1 is doable on regular, but premium is preferred. May as well have all of your power on tap! I went with the 38's because I wanted that extra edge and don't mind running premium fuel all the time. If I want all out, balls to the walls, I fill up with E85 and switch the tune.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is around 11.2:1. Premium fuel is mandatory. If you go with 44's, you can possibly still run regular, if you had to. 10.2:1 is doable on regular, but premium is preferred. May as well have all of your power on tap! I went with the 38's because I wanted that extra edge and don't mind running premium fuel all the time. If I want all out, balls to the walls, I fill up with E85 and switch the tune.
Tuning is where the real issue will be in the end. Mainly because I know absolutely nothing about it and few people around here do.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Tuning is where the real issue will be in the end. Mainly because I know absolutely nothing about it and few people around here do.
I'd say that there are quite a few of us here that know a thing or two about tuning. ;)

Regardless of whether you plan to tune it yourself or have someone else do the work, be sure to budget for it. Tuning is one area that you absolutely don't want to cut corners.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
As long as you've got the cash, there is someone to tune the car. Even if you have to go mail-order and have someone like Don LaSota or Dave Dalke tune the car for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts