TCCoA Forums banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Must have got them cheaper at his local warehouse. Came up 60 for me too.

·
Registered
1996 Mercury Cougar XR-7
9 Posts
Strut rod bushing experience running a 24 Hours of Lemons endurance race car.
Like most everyone here our team has struggled over the years to find quality strut rod bushings that would hold up to the forces while road racing the car. We had tried several of the polyurethane options only to have them crumble into dust after a few hours of track time. We were never able to find any OEM replacement bushing. Eventually we resorted to making our own bushings by using oversized washers and sandwiching as much nylon braded pressure rated rubber fuel line around the strut rod and sleeve as possible (greasing heavily for good measure). This set up would last an entire race before needing to be "rebuilt". Recently we saw that Super Coupe Performance had OEM rubber replica strut rod bushings available so we decided to give them a try. After running one race (14 hours / 800 miles) we are very happy with the results. The bushings still look new, no wear, no problems to speak of. The bushings did a good job of keeping the suspension under control during heavy braking. As we continue to race the car we will see how they hold up, but as of right now we'd recommend these to anyone still looking for strut rod bushings.

SuperCoupePerformance: Part Descriptions.
" NEW ITEM: Front Suspension OEM Rubber Replica Bushings for the Front of the Strut Rod - Set for both sides "
" SPECIAL: Front Suspension Bushings for the Rear of the Strut Rod - Set for both sides "

·
Super Moderator
8,339 Posts
Actually on the strut rod bushing front, I stumbled across something a couple months ago. The Ultra-Power K8659 kit comes with actual rubber bushings that are a bit harder than the factory ones, and it also comes with solid sleeves, not the split design that most of the aftermarket pieces come with. Best of all, the kit is $6.95 plus shipping on Rockauto! I installed a set in my 90XR7 replacing the factory bushings which didn’t look bad, but I had a pull under braking which I ruled everything else out. After swapping these bushings in, the handling was immediately way improved, even before getting it aligned. They have been on the car for a couple months now, including NJ potholes and some very spirited driving, and show no signs of deterioration. I after install I ordered 3 more sets for my various cars!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if those bushings are the ones Bill is selling. I think the key to longevity is that metal cup in the front bushings to keep them from expanding outward, I held onto my factory bushings to burn that out if/when the Continental polys blow out. The kit Bill sells includes those I noticed

·
Super Moderator
8,339 Posts
Here’s some pics of the bushings.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have a set of those on the 96 Im waiting to try out.

About the metal cups, possibly. On both the 90 and 96 I pried the old bushing out of the cups to use on each respective car. The bushings on the 90 are real rubber and pretty soft. Romaco is the brand, and not made any more. You can feel it under braking that they are soft, but they havent torn.

Im probably gonna switch the bushings because of that.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts