TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a remanufactured tranny installed in the car about a week ago.
My installer said it was out of a 96/97 f150. He had to use my old linkage and pan.
It seems to work as it should under both normal and spirted driving.
I an having 2 issues tho. The first is my back up lights no longer function.
The second is my speedo is showing 13 MPH faster at hiway speeds.
What would cause these two issues and are they easy to repair..

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Speed is either different count tooth VSS gear or Output shaft gear.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Back up lights is a faulty or misaligned MLPS, The speedometer is because the transmissionhas an 8 tooth output shaft and your stock one had a 7 tooth. With 3.08 gears you need a 20 tooth speedometer gear, for 3.27's you need a 21. beyond that you'll need a speed calibration unit such as the dakota digital or the dallas mustangs speedcal.
Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lack of research prior to install.
The remanufacture was from Jasper. They assured me it was the right tranny.
I did my research and got this through a friend who is a jasper dealer.
So they screwed up, not my lack of research.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Fyi

Back up lights is a faulty or misaligned MLPS, The speedometer is because the transmissionhas an 8 tooth output shaft and your stock one had a 7 tooth. With 3.08 gears you need a 20 tooth speedometer gear, for 3.27's you need a 21. beyond that you'll need a speed calibration unit such as the dakota digital or the dallas mustangs speedcal.
Alan
Not to start an argument, but I just pulled the speedo gear from my stock 1995 'Bird with 3.08 gears and it was a Green 17 tooth gear. I changed my rear gear to a 3.27 gear set and went to a Gray 18 tooth gear to correct my speedometer (it was about 6% off after the swap).

Are you saying he has a different output shaft, that's the reason for the different tooth gears?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Tire size will make differences, I was basing on stock tires. The rule of them is for every tooth you go up on the output shaft you need 2 on the sensor. so 19 or 20 you are probably in a decent limit.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts