TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about putting it in miscellaneous, but this is really good. The real explanation starts at 1:50, but its worth watching the whole thing if you don't understand exactly how a diff works. They use tinkertoys to demonstrate and build it up from there.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how is a trac lok different?
Remember in an open diff 100% of the power is transferred to the wheel with the least traction! That is obvious from the video.

When one wheel loses traction (like on ice) clutch packs lock one of the axles to the differential case (thats why you need friction modifier, it builds friction as the wheel starts to slip and develop heat). Then the axle locks to the case and the wheel on ice starts to spin (along with the other wheel too).

Trac assist uses the rear brake to lock the spinning wheel thru the ABS system. The ABS computer monitors the relative wheel speeds and reacts almost instantaneously when there is a speed delta. When the wheel on ice(slipping one) is locked it becomes equivalent to dry pavement, and the other wheel starts to spin. The locked (formerly slipping) wheel does not have the least traction anymore, so power shifts to the other wheel.

Problem is that usually both wheels are on ice, so it just fights each other. Also, I was playing with it in the snow and I don't think the brakes have the grabbing power to fully lock the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
Wow, that was good. Even I understood it. :D

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Good find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts