TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, I had the strongest urge to play Space Hulk-- a game I used to play when I was about 13 years old. I found this pretty cool site, that had about 4000 (!) old games. Alas, Space Hulk is protected from distribution...

I figured I would take the opportunity to post the link...
Underdogs

Since Space Hulk and the Lucasarts games aren't on there, are there any others you old fogies recommend?

PJ

PS-- Yes, I got my avatar from there...

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I remember playing KQ3 and the black cauldron on our first computer. I got pretty used to DOS, and had a hard time embracing windows when we got our next one. But when I finally warmed up to it, I remember that Ultima 7 was one of the first games we got, love that one too.

I wanna try to find a copy of "Full Throttle" by lucas arts, anybody got one?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
StupidFly said:
I wanna try to find a copy of "Full Throttle" by lucas arts, anybody got one?
I have the CD around here somewhere, will probably be the weekend before I can find it though. I loved that game. Did you hear they are making a Full Throttle 2?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ultima 7 WAS incredible, wasn't it? It got less credit than it deserved. The music, the rich detail of the world... One of my favorite RPGs. I know that back in the day, PC Gamer was sending game demo discs with their magazines, and some of them had old lucas titles on them.

Syndicate was pretty cool. Lots of strategy...

PJ

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I remember playing a racing game on a 1978 IBM....in monochrome green on a 13" monitor with no sound. The entire game was made from letters. Guess they hadn't invented graphics yet.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
THEY'RE MAKING A FULL THROTTLE 2?!?!?!?!?!? any word on a release date or too soon to tell? I loved that game, came with a new computer my family got a long time a go. The disc is long since gone, loved that game though :D

I LOVED Ultima 7, a helluva lot of detail and stuff to do.... I bought a compilation pack a while ago that had ALL the ultimas up through 8 on it. Including the Ultima 7 the black gate/forge of virtue... that was pretty cool

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Man, I miss DOS! I used to be way more into computers when DOS was used but now I'm forced to use them (and windows) becuase of work. Anyone remember using Bullitin Board Systems, lol? Where you would use your puter to dial into another persons "server" puter? Ahhhh.... memories, lol! Wolfenstein was a cool DOS game, so was Leasure Suit Larry. Hmmm, oh who remembers Isle of the Dead? Actually, I still have a copy of the origional beta version of windows... it's called "Windows Enviromental Working Model V1" or something like that, lol. I believe it required a 286 22mhz or some crap, lol.

Oh, and if anyone wants a FREE hard drive let me know :D ! It's a 50 megabyte drive that weighs about 40 lbs. ROFL

·
Registered
855 Posts
Isle of the Dead was the game! well one of 'em. There were just so many good games for dos. I'm only 18 and can still say "ah, those were the days". No need to shut down, boots up in 10 seconds , heh. Of course you had to configure everything manually, and sometimes my sound blaster needed to be set to turtle beach or something similar to work (dunno why. lol). Then again, you gotta love inserting and removing the 20 floppy disks needed to play something. Although graphics weren't that good, it forced the gameplay to be even better. I've yet to play a REALLY kickass game recently, ... there's so many out there that sure are dressed up pretty, but as far as raw gameplay, i haven't been impressed.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
SC_Steve said:
Anyone remember using Bullitin Board Systems, lol? Where you would use your puter to dial into another persons "server" puter?
Yeah, I ran a Wildcat BBS and feeds from fidonet

Then there was the dialing into the university's Berlkey Unix boxen and having to kermit everything off to my home pc.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Jill of the Jungle
Commander Keen 1,2,3
Duke Nukem 1,2 and 3D
Doom
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Voyer
Phantasmagoria 1
SWAT
MYST
The Dark Half
Alone in the Dark (the origional)

I'll remember more later :cool:

Oh, who remembers that one game that was sort of like myst? It was full motion video though, and it WASN'T made by Sierra (sp) at least I'm pretty sure... It was more or less like an RPG (wizards/elfs/ and what not) but EVERYTHING was full motion as far as I can remember... Dangit, now it's going to bother me. I believe it was made around 93/94 and it was quite popular for a while. It wasn't space ace or Dragons lair either... it was setup more like Myst as far as movement went. All that I remember of it is that when you start the game, your in front of a white house next to a mailbox and when you click on the mail box this wizards head appears on a letter inside and talks to you... ??? Anyone know? I believe they also made a sequal to it aswell.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I remember a few that I used to play on my Tandy 1000HX.

Space quest
Kings quest
Qix
Sopwith
Fokker

These are very primitive games.
The tandy was an 8686 I think the processor speed was 33 mhz but I could be mistaken it may have been much less.
My uncle worked at radio shack. My family had the first PC to run on dos that radio shack ever sold.

danman

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
SC_Steve said:
when you start the game, your in front of a white house next to a mailbox and when you click on the mail box this wizards head appears on a letter inside and talks to you...
Zork didn't have graphics. :tongue:
Speaking of...

Play Zork
Play Zork 2
Play Zork 3

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Now that you mention it, I do believe the intro sequence for Return to Zork (which was a CD-based graphical game) did have the scene from the intro to Zork in it. RtZ is on that site, but not for download.

When you actually started the game though you were in a rocky field and had to pelt a vulture with a rock and then continue on.

This quote should stick with ya if this is the game you remember "Want some rye? Of course ya do"

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Now that you mention it, I do believe the intro sequence for Return to Zork (which was a CD-based graphical game) did have the scene from the intro to Zork in it. RtZ is on that site, but not for download.

When you actually started the game though you were in a rocky field and had to pelt a vulture with a rock and then continue on.

This quote should stick with ya if this is the game you remember "Want some rye? Of course ya do"
KICK A$$ BRO! That's the game I was thinking of.... and yea, I remember that drunk guy saying "Want some rye? Of course ya do", lol. It was kind of annoying... I kind of remember also falling into or taking a boat down a river after going to that wooden tower thing (maybe a light house or something.... that was a long time ago and don't remember it all that well, lol). Thanks again Shadow... that was really starting to get on my nerves. I think I'm going to buy that game now :D :cool:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
KICK A$$ BRO! That's the game I was thinking of.... and yea, I remember that guy saying "Want some rye? Of course ya do", lol. It was kind of annoying.
Even more annyoing was you had to hear it quite a few times because you have to drink him under the table to advance.

I kind of remember also falling into or taking a boat down a river after going to that wooden tower thing (maybe a light house or something.... that was a long time ago and don't remember it all that well, lol).

Yep, you had to build a raft and sail it down the river to get to the town.

Thanks again Shadow... that was really starting to get on my nerves. I think I'm going to buy that game now :D :cool:

I don' t know if they ever cracked both copy protection schemes or not. The one in the beginning would be easy, but in that town when you have to talk to the school teacher, either you get the question right (by reading the "Encyclopedia Frobozica" which came with it) or you got killed probably wouldn't be so easy.

I bought that game when it first came out since I loved the original Zorks and then later on I picked up a set that had all 5 Zork text games + RtZ. FWIW, there is an Infocom emulator for CE and Palm and the games are certainly small enough to transfer the data file over and play them on a handheld. Gotten me through many a long boring meeting.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don' t know if they ever cracked both copy protection schemes or not. The one in the beginning would be easy, but in that town when you have to talk to the school teacher, either you get the question right (by reading the "Encyclopedia Frobozica" which came with it) or you got killed probably wouldn't be so easy.
Yeah, I origionaly borrowed that game from a friend and when I got to that part I didn't get the question right because I didn't have that book, lol

1 - 20 of 71 Posts