TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something Like This

Say you hang a turbo in place of the muffler and then run some 2 inch piping for the intake, would it be worth it for just a little added pep? Grab a turbo from a volvo/saab in a junk yard get the required parts and run at 6psi on a stock 5.0L?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Uhhhhhhhhh...that is the setup that Sir Will has. He is/was working with STS (I think) to try to fab a kit for our cars. It used to be on the turbo portion of this site but has disappeares within the past few months. It IS a good idea though.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yep sir will says it works really well and he's only pushing about 5 lbs of boost as I recall. If I had the money I would definitely do it. But gotta build up an engine first before any boost.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not for 5psi. If you were going to run anything over 6 you should AT LEAST go with better pistons. Other than that, I would not step up.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
well sir will is only running 5lbs to get all the bugs out and once everything is worked out thats when the kit is going to be getting its full boost. atleast thats what I recall from that thread where they talked about it. But even though you would see benefits from 5lbs of boost to me it really isn't worth the money to only run 5lbs of boost. If I'm going to do turbo its going to be a full blown 18lbs of boost :)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
whats the lowest ET he has gotten with 5lbs?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I dont know. I was hoping he was going to chime in after he read this with some dazzeling new information or something...Aparently I was wrong.

Chris

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
smokymance said:
whats the lowest ET he has gotten with 5lbs?

It's in the 14 second range somewhere, don't forget that he still has an NPI intake and cams though, and I'm fairly certain stock exhaust manifolds.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Well, the only time it was on the track, it hadn't been tuned at ALL, had horribly rich (off the scale) A/F, completely bald BFG street tires and the turbo wasn't broken in at all. It was doing high 14's at mid 98MPH. It was a real pig off the line as the turbo took forever to spool up.

Once the turbo was broken in and I got the A/F and timing better (still not done a dyno tune yet), it pulls MUCH harder. The turbo hits full boost by around 3400-3500 now. I've since swapped to a PI intake and cams and it really pulls nice. But I'm still only doing 5lbs. The system can develop a LOT more than that, but the wastegate blows at 5lbs. It's hard on the wastegate by around 3600-3800 and stays there til you lift.

I have no clue what kind of times it'll run as I live 4 hours from a drag strip. But I can tell you that when the temp is below 40 degrees, it breaks the tires loose above 4500rpms in first and doesn't hook back up until after the shift. Of course I am running crappy 225/60-16 Eagle GT II's (they were free) on the back right now.

From a completely bench-racing standpoint running the numbers, it should be around 315-340rwhp somewhere.

With a PNP forged motor, I think 10-12lbs would be EASY with this system. I'd guess 400-450 would be a pretty easily attainable goal. But the checkbook will come nowhere near supporting that at the moment. Maybe if Ed McMahan will give me my darned money!

:D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Soooooo...what can the rest of us expect? I mean, it IS in the works for a production right? If not...which turbo are you running. Its time to step it up on my end and I think a turbo would be really cool.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
seawalk its a custom turbo that fits for that application... The last time we inquired on this he wouldn't say. I guess the company wouldn't let him. I can't wait for it to come out in a kit :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It shouldnt take long to map one out. I have done some research on this. The problem is I am not sure what I am going to do. I have all the stuff to set up with PI heads and the bullitt intake, but I think I am going 4v with a short stroke in an aluminum block. I need to find out where that would flow and I can build from there.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I'm not saying the system is custom... I'm saying the turbo itself is custom to fit the application. So that it supplies boost but you don't sense the turbo lag so bad with it being all the way at the end of the car. The veins in the turbo, size of them, size of the turbo itself. Its all custom fabricated. And thats why its taking a while....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Uhhh...You can chose a turbo by using a turbo map. I am sure the custom is the way to go because it fits the total need of the car. However, if you chose one in the center of the map, you SHOULD only notice a differece in a race situation. It should have no ill effects on street use.

Chris

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It's not a custom turbo, it's just a non-traditional turbine/compressor combo spec'd to specifically accommodate the cooler exhaust gasses and the displacement of our cars. It's sized to pretty easily support 425-475hp without having excessive lag down low.

I need to change a couple things about the way I have mine. Mainly the location or at least the orientation of the wastegate. Right now, it's the lowest thing on the rear of the car -- I've scraped the output pipe on it a few times.

I also need to make some changes where I go by the trans crossmember. Right now, it's the lowest point under the car. I need to do a bit of rerouting to correct that.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When can we expect to see it for sale? At least the parts. I would like topiece my own together. Do you know the size(s) or is that one of the secrets too.

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wonder if anybody has thought about putting a rearmount turbo on a vehicle that has a roots supercharger? You get the instantaneous torque of the blower and the high end HP of the turbo, when the blower isn't working as well.

I do know for a fact that certain Detroit Diesel motors are set up this way. They have a gear driven roots supercharger that is fed by a big Garrett turbo.

This is the same motor that is in the M109A6 Paladin Howitzer used by the Army. The Paladin is huge but, they can move (still not as fast as an Abrams or Bradley).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts