TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these parts just don't look that difficult to make. and any decent mufler shop guy ahould be able to install the whole thing. it wouldn't even be necsarry to buy this. just the turbos and bovs. the only thing in the engine compartment is what looks like dual cold air intake.

are there any major cons to this type of setup? the website says they're the best thing since sliced bread, but they may be biased. and the sound needs some help. sounds like a jet.

http://www.ststurbo.com/mustang_sound___video

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Do a search, it has been covered. Sir William already has one on his car. His is one of the "universal" kits from STS, and he weleded everything together himself. I think his pics are at http://www.turbothunderbird.com/pics.php

-Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
The only downside I can think of about the remote turbo setup's is there has got to be some super lagg in getting those spooled up.......

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Marl said:
The only downside I can think of about the remote turbo setup's is there has got to be some super lagg in getting those spooled up.......

Apparently it isnt too bad if setup properly. I've been doing some reading on them lately. But I think the most qualified person to answer that would be Sir Will

·
Registered
825 Posts
i read that the turbos used in a remote turbo kits has a different ratio of how much exhaust is required to provide boost but they are most 5 to 6 psi in most cases. if any one could sheld some light on this please do i am thinking something up too

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking at doing a remote turbo set up, I am going to put a fuel cell in the back of the car and fit a turbo or two where the tank used to go.I checked out 392 birds site with his fuel cell and side exhaust pics and from those I fiqure that there should be enough room .

Pretty nutty idea I guess , but worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
not really a nutty idea actually...i thought of the idea of mounting the turbos right where the tank was. I dont have my tank anymore and theres lots of room. The exhaust housings have small AR. s so they can spool quick even with being all the way back there. With proper compressors and turbines you can see high boost like 20 psi just remember you need a strong motor to even break 8 most of the time. The sound is so loud on most of the STS setups because there usually is just a exhaust tip off of the turbine. If you mounted the turbos right where the gas tank was and ran pipes off the turbines thru the IRS you could put 2 strait thru mufflers to quiet the exhaust a little bit! Also you need oil pumps to pump the returning oil back to the sump since they will be below the sump. Gravity can't help them there. One pro of this setup is lower heat levels with the turbos farther away. Heat causes velocity and helps turbos spool. Since the heat is lower at the end of the exhaust the velocity is lower so remote mount turbos rely on small AR.s to spool the turbo as quickly as it can.

·
Registered
348 Posts
marvintpa said:
Having the air intake for the turbos that close to the rear wheel cannot be good for them!!??

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's one of the biggest down sides to doing a remote turbo setup. You can't drive it in the wet at all unless you either do some hole cutting into the trunk or do some other type of crazy plumbing.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got a nice t4 sitting in my shop, and I've got some ideas... I've been thinking about running a small oil tank in my trunk with a little transfer pump (I don't want 15 feet of oil line), and running the compressor side pipe up through the trunk so I wouldn't have to worry about water.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
twin turbo 281 said:
not really a nutty idea actually...i thought of the idea of mounting the turbos right where the tank was. I dont have my tank anymore and theres lots of room. The exhaust housings have small AR. s so they can spool quick even with being all the way back there. With proper compressors and turbines you can see high boost like 20 psi just remember you need a strong motor to even break 8 most of the time. The sound is so loud on most of the STS setups because there usually is just a exhaust tip off of the turbine. If you mounted the turbos right where the gas tank was and ran pipes off the turbines thru the IRS you could put 2 strait thru mufflers to quiet the exhaust a little bit! Also you need oil pumps to pump the returning oil back to the sump since they will be below the sump. Gravity can't help them there. One pro of this setup is lower heat levels with the turbos farther away. Heat causes velocity and helps turbos spool. Since the heat is lower at the end of the exhaust the velocity is lower so remote mount turbos rely on small AR.s to spool the turbo as quickly as it can.
You guys got me thinking now.... :)

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
If only my engine could handle boost :(
pi heads + stock bottom end + boost = BOOM!

This has made the gears start turning in my head for the quest for more power, and possibly a completely new motor starting with the block.... hi-ho hi-ho its off to ford I go.... to buy a block and build ground up, hi-ho hi-ho hi-ho hi-ho...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts