TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if any would be the drawbacks of doing such? My car is no longer required to pass any emissions test, so no problems there. I'm just wondering if it is worth it. A trusted mechanic has told me he thinks I would be better off leaving the two front CATS and removing the third CAT and the resonator. My main objective is to help remove the drone at certain RPM. He told me I would have a racier tone with a higher note than the bass I currently have with Flowmaster 40s, which I intend to keep on the car.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
unless you are replacing the whole exhaust system with a high performance
type system, leave it along.

I replaced on my 96 cougar, manifold to muffler with the parts from my 95 Cougar.
Kooks, 2 1/2" pipe and turbo mufflers.
The sound is great, quiet at idle and just enough roar.
NO drone.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Removing the 3rd cat/resonator is not going to help the sound. Not much you can do to help Flowmasters.

Al

·
Registered
410 Posts
With an EFI car removing the cats will actually hurt performance, as the sensors will be thrown way out of norm for readings, and with too little back pressure the 4.6L cannot breathe properly. Just put a cat back with larger pipes on.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll admit, after reading responses, I'm confused as to what is right and wrong. The simple thing to do would be to leave as is and replace the Flowmasters with stock mufflers, thus removing cabin drone when ascending/descending, which occurs in about 10-15% of my driving.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be making any changes for a while.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thrush makes inexpensive turbo mufflers that have a little tone to them while accelerating with no drone. Most parts stores carry them for around $50/ pair.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Only the rear sensors would be out of range - and set a DTC, but wont affect performance.

I do believe there is a downside to losing back pressure. If you unbolt the cat-back after the 3rd cat/resonator, there is definately a noticeable loss in power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts