TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding removal of the rear springs, what's the best side to drop?

Right now I have the 2 bolts that connect the hub to the outside of the arm out.

The shock is out.

The jack is underneath the arm, and I'm about to lower it.

With the arm dropped as far as it'll go, will the spring come out nicely, or will it fly out and bounce around my garage?

Reason I ask, is that I'm 99% sure the bolts that hold the LCA to the body won't come out without a huge fight - and I don't want to fool around with them.

Tips, advice?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You're doing it the correct way. The spring shouldn't shoot out, it may even take a little persuasion to get it over the spring cup in the lower control arm. This is the way that I've always changed rear springs.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it won't sproing out if I push down on the LCA once the jack has been lowered?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I've never had one shoot out, the spring should be fully extended by the time you lower the jack all of the way.

-Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not going to shoot out at you. With the jack lowered and the lca pushed down, the spring should be fully decompressed. Like racecougar said, at this point the spring will need a little persuasion to come out of the lca. I used a long pipe I had laying around and with the right leverage the spring popped right out.

Good luck,

Brian. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, both sides popped out real nicely!

I simply lowered the jack after disconnecting the swaybar endlinks, and noticed how the springs were at maximum compression. Then I just pushed the LCA with my foot and wiggled the spring out.

Now if only the fronts were that easy :rolleyes: .

Thanks Gents :).

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
i thought the front were very easy.. just workin on the backs :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
KrAzyT said:
i thought the front were very easy.. just workin on the backs :)
Removing the fronts as a spring/shock assembly is easy. However, removing the spring from the shock requires a spring compressor, unlike the rear springs.

-Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts