TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks. the fuel pump in my '91 3.8L sounds like a couple of bumble bees in a mayonnaise jar. the car has one tire in the grave already, it's rotting out from under me. from what i've read, dropping the tank is a big job. i doubt i can lift it high enough in my driveway to get the tank out, and i'd rather not mess with the oem exhaust.
at this point duct tape and bubble gum is ok by me. my plan is to cut a hole in the floor, change the pump, and put a piece of sheet metal over the hole. i've seen pic's of what the tank looks like. it seems like i should make the hole under the front right corner of the back seat. has anyone else done this? i would like to have a better idea of where to cut so i won't have to make too big a hole.
thanks all.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've cut a hole once in a floor to change out a fuel pump. It was in a pos chevy work van with an owner that wanted it fixed on the cheap. Had I removed the tank, straps, lines, etc. would have crumbled in my hands, it was that rusty. I don't think that van should have been on the road to be honest with you.

One piece of advice I can give you is to choose your hole wisely and don't cut too deeply. I don't know if anyone will be able to give you an exact location for said hole. Crawl underneath (from the back) and locate the pump assembly, with a light you should be able to see it. From there just try your best to determine its location in relation to the floor structure.
I'm not positive on the exact size of the ring around the pump assembly so I will not shoot you bad info on that. At the very least someone will be able to give you that exact measurement. Good luck, hopefully you don't cause more troubles than you would by doing the job correctly. The tank is easy to drop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The pump and fuel lines are very close to the sheet metal in that aria. When you remove the seat there is a large lump where the vapor lines returns and the pump is a few inches from that, but with the clearances in there you probably will not be able to cut threw without nicking the lines or the tank. When i dropped my tank the lines were right up aganced the sheet metal and rubbing, and if they are damaged then you have to drop the tank to get to them and replace them.

Your best bet is to run it almost empty and then drop the tank. The exhaust is easy to remove. There are 2 bolts and 2 hangers holding it. Some basic ramps gave me more then enough clearance when i had to drop mine out. I do recommend having some help there as it is long and awkward even when nearly empty.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just drop the tank, provided things arent too rusty and you have a decent impact gun it should go pretty good.

You will need a 1/2in socket on the end of an impact gun, I took off just the front bolt for the tank strap, then pulled both bolts on the other side of the tank. Try and break them loose with a little bit of the trigger, then slowly work them out, back and forth running them out a little in a little etc.

After its dropped down a bit (floor jack under it with a piece of wood) pull the lines and connector at the pump. Drop it some more, 5/16th 1/4in drive ratchet and you can pull the hose clamps for the hoses at the rear of the tank. Jerk em off and drop it to the ground, slide it out and your done.

It goes pretty good, easier than I expected. Oh yeah dont forget the exhaust lol, but thats the easy part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the advice. a few more questions, if i may.
i'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how big the tank is. does it run the full width of the car, with a notch for the driveshaft to pass over the top of it? my exhaust pipe turns way towards the drivers side before it gets to the tank, i'm guessing it hangs up the very end of the tank?
if i jack up the rear by the pumpkin and stick a couple of jack stands under the arms out by the wheels, will the tank come out from under the side of thr car or out the back?
thanks again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
things weren't looking good for removing the exhaust, so i went thru the floor. did all the cutting with aviation shears. there is a half dollar size grommet under the back seat that you can see the locking ring and hoses thru. i started in the grommet hole, cutting towards the front of the car. when i got to the edge, i cut towards the passenger side. i stopped at the seat mount and cut towards the back as far as i could... the tank comes up and meets the metal, preventing further cutting. then i went back to the grommet hole and cut towards the rear, making a flap. watch out for the vent tube, it's small, black and wedged in there. peel it back, and there it is.
the pump and bracket want to come out at a very shallow angle towards the passenger door. the filter on the end of the pump is a real PITA to get on and off. otherwise i changed the pump, reinstalled, folded back the flap, added a few strips of sheet metal and a few pop rivets, then rtv'ed the seams.

it ran good for a day until the head gasket blew :boom:

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
dropping the tank really isnt all that hard its 4 bolts for the straps and a couple of hose clamps need to be undone, as well as the exhaust dropped witch on a 91 i've heard inst easy as it doesnt break apart in the middle like they do on 96/97's.

but that sucks you blew your head gasket...well this is a good time now for a pi swap as stuff ash to come off to replace.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
...but that sucks you blew your head gasket...well this is a good time now for a pi swap as stuff ash to come off to replace.
He was having a hard enough time with the fuel pump, I don't think he has the resources to do a PI swap into a '91 with a 3.8.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
He was having a hard enough time with the fuel pump, I don't think he has the resources to do a PI swap into a '91 with a 3.8.
eh its not too hard:D. personally i'd go out and either drop a 4.6 pi or buy a 4.6 tbrd

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
dropping the tank really isnt all that hard its 4 bolts for the straps and a couple of hose clamps need to be undone, as well as the exhaust dropped witch on a 91 i've heard inst easy as it doesnt break apart in the middle like they do on 96/97's.

but that sucks you blew your head gasket...well this is a good time now for a pi swap as stuff ash to come off to replace.
Forget about doing exhaust on old cars in the salt belt without acetylene to cut stuff out.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Forget about doing exhaust on old cars in the salt belt without acetylene to cut stuff out.
hadn't thought about that i live on the west coast we dont know what road cancer is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
road cancer... never heard that one before, but it hits the rusty nail on the head. the body mounts in the front of the rear wheel wells were the first to rot away years ago. the brake lines rusted paper thin before i replaced them when i did the front end work. the rocker panels are just a memory, but it makes it easy to keep an eye on how rusty the fuel lines are. don't have to worry about water accumulating in the drivers door, either... the bottom rotted out.
i loved the car, but it's not worth putting another dime into. in the last 18 years it's been in the shop once, that was for hg's back in 00. i would have given it a try, but i lack a garage, a paved driveway, and another car to drive to work. i need to find another car with decent mileage and lots of legroom for cheap over the next week or so, lest dad's generosity wears thin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts