TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it took me about 3.5 hours to do all windows: back both quarters and both fronts, still need to clean off the adhesive from the fronts.

my concern is this, i cleaned the back window thoroughly and even now afterwards there seems to be some kind of glare on the glass when i look at it at the right angle. the glass feels clean to the touch but it still looks like its streaky/foggy.

anyone else come across this while removing tint on any car? the tint was all bubbling and purple which leads me to believe it was on there for a long time.

any comments or opinions are welcome

-josh-

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
I don't know what you cleaned the windows with, but you might want to try using some ammonia and newspaper. That combo seems to get just about any kind of film off of glass. Be forewarned though, inhaling ammonia isn't too good for you, so take frequent breaks and keep your car doors open.

-Rod

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used windex and it removed the adhesive quite well. any other people have some past experiences? i may go pick up some more windex and some ammonia tomorrow morning and finish the job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine was pretty tough to get off at first too , but letting it sit out in the sun for a while on a hot day really helped to get it off. All i did was pull off the tint in a few peices and then used windex and a razor blade. Try spraying the windex liberally on the window and then scraping with a blade. Be careful of going over the defrost lines if you have a rear defrost.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive gotten all the adhesive off there, theres nothing left to remove but the glass still looks hazy, likes its been waxed and not wiped off. like smearing/streaking.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I used paint....or maybe it was laquer thinner on my windows on my buick (back in the day) It melted the glue and other stuff right off. Same deal with breathing it though... I put a fan in the car to keep the air going.

~Chuck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much nail polish remover did you use? at my local grocery/drug stores it only comes in little bottles.

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
wigglesrewind said:
how much nail polish remover did you use? at my local grocery/drug stores it only comes in little bottles.
Look for Acetone, you can get it in larger bottles and it's the same thing.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
laquer thinner will take ANYTHINHG off. We use it all the time at work (paint crew) you can wipe over lettering on a sticker once lightly and it will b completely gone

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im taking the remander of the glue off the front windows with a razor blade, its working really well. much faster than the ammonia worked, id be worried about getting laquer thinner on the interior and ruining it. ive been careful not to scratch the class as well but if i do, the local picknpull has half off all glass every saturday so i can just go pick a window or 2 out of their yard, did it when some punk broke the window in my 89 cougar ls...driver side window for 5.50...not bad

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dude, just dab a little lacquer thinner on a rag and rub the window with it. It will makes things so much easier for you. Nail polish is lacquer thinner with color, and MUCH more expensive. You won't get it on your interior, just do it.

~Chuck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
too late, i used a razor blade to scrap off the excess, took about 15-20 minutes per window. i will remember the lacquer thing if i ever do this again. i really am not that big into window tint though, the only times ive ever had it on my vehicles is when a previous owner gets it done.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Okay I have a question will the lacquer thinner take off the tint right off or what because I ewant to take the 2 off the front I just want it to be as painless as possible thanks. I want to try and do this today so any help is appreciated

·
Registered
214 Posts
best thing for the windows is a green scrub pad and foam window cleaner do it on a cooler day and u can have it off in 5 minutes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts