TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove a broken radio out of my cougar but doesn’t seem to wana come out, do I have to take off any part of the dash - thank you

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,422 Posts
If it’s the factory radio you can use a pair of bent U shaped coat hanger wire in the two holes in the sides, and pull them outward to release the clips and allow the assembly to slide out. Aftermarket ones tend to have slots behind the trim ring where a pair of thin metal “keys” can be inserted and release the headunit from the aftermarket cage, at least that’s how it works on my Alpine. You shouldn’t need to remove any dash panels.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well, if you buy a stereo from a place like Crutchfield, it comes with a kit to remove the old and install the new. Then, you can use those tools to remove other stereos, like the situation you're in.

You pretty much need that tool, or be familiar with what it looks like to make one out of something. There are two holes on each side of the stereo where the tool goes in.

Al

Reactions: JaredBow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it’s the factory radio you can use a pair of bent U shaped coat hanger wire in the two holes in the sides, and pull them outward to release the clips and allow the assembly to slide out. Aftermarket ones tend to have slots behind the trim ring where a pair of thin metal “keys” can be inserted and release the headunit from the aftermarket cage, at least that’s how it works on my Alpine. You shouldn’t need to remove any dash panels.
Thank you for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts