TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my air silencer once before and noticed a bit more response but everytime I had to climb a long hill I would get an engine code five minutes after reaching the top. I think the tps needed to be tuned for the increased airflow.

I run my car with the silencer, but lets say I wanted to do a quarter mile. Is the car faster with or without?

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
Removing the air silencer won't cause a MIL, something else had to have been the problem. Removing the air silencer really won't make much difference at all on a stock engine, besides making the intake a little louder.

-Rod

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
racecougar said:
Removing the air silencer won't cause a MIL, something else had to have been the problem. Removing the air silencer really won't make much difference at all on a stock engine, besides making the intake a little louder.

-Rod
It did on mine. My engine and all of my sensors are new. It ran flawlessly before removing the air silencer and then after reinstalling in. It only happens on the hill coming out of spokane. Its a two mile long somewhat steep hill that requires quite a bit of throttle to stay at the speed limit of 60mph.
It seems to happen when the car is under a large load for a long time at a low rpm. I forget the exact code but it was something like "excess of cool o2". I think the engine is used to running at a vacuum at that low of an rpm and with how much throttle I was giving it was running at zero vacuum for too long.

Thank for the reply, I'm not going to worry about removing the silencer for the race.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
there is no way in hell the air silencer removal will throw a code or give the engine great amounts of increased airflow. It's an air silencer, not a 20hp modification. And even if that were the case (which it isn't, mind you) the computer would compensate for it.
-Thomas

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I respect your knowledge but I know what happend when I pulled mine. After removing the air silencer my car ran without a code all the time for a long time until I hit that hill. And then it ran without a code again until I hit that hill again. Now that I have reinstalled it I have not recieved a code after climbing the same hill probably 100 times. To tell me I'm wrong about the code again would be insulting.

I'm not looking to hear from people answering the wrong question. The post was about removing the air silencer and if it would help my 1/4 mile time.

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
Thomas said:
there is no way in hell the air silencer removal will throw a code or give the engine great amounts of increased airflow. It's an air silencer, not a 20hp modification. And even if that were the case (which it isn't, mind you) the computer would compensate for it.
-Thomas
Amen. ;)

Plus, there isn't a code for "excess of cool O2." You probably had a code for one of your O2 sensors. The air silencer really doesn't affect the amount of "cool O2" that makes its way into the engine, especially on a stock 3.8L.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Speed_Demon said:
I respect your knowledge but I know what happend when I pulled mine. After removing the air silencer my car ran without a code all the time for a long time until I hit that hill. And then it ran without a code again until I hit that hill again. Now that I have reinstalled it I have not recieved a code after climbing the same hill probably 100 times. To tell me I'm wrong about the code again would be insulting.

I'm not looking to hear from people answering the wrong question. The post was about removing the air silencer and if it would help my 1/4 mile time.
I'm not trying to insult you by any means, but I know for fact that removal of the air silencer will not throw any engine code of any kind. FACT.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm just crazy. I have completely lost my mind and any integence I may have had. Please tccoa gods guide me!

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I'm just telling you the truth guy. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm saying your assumptions (which is what they are) are wrong about the removal of the air silencer throwing a code, especially one that does not exist.
-Thomas

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets wax kindergarden style. I go up the hill without the part I get a code.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
awesome, congratulations. So by deductive reasoning, that is your problem? What is your explanation for this? What is the 'actual' code you are throwing? How do you figure removing an air silencer could improve the flow of your car so dramatically that it would make the car run lean?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know I like this site. I came here to share what I've learned and to get some tips along the way. I want to stick around and help, not to step on toes. The fact is these tbirds have some problems. Maybe thats why I like the questions because these problems shouldn't happen or atleast so often. If you have an explanation for my code thats fine but to say I'm just ignorant without being here experiencing the symptoms I'm all ear-muffs.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Thomas said:
What is the 'actual' code you are throwing?
yeah, really, pull the code and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thomas said:
How do you figure removing an air silencer could improve the flow of your car so dramatically that it would make the car run lean?
I never said that. I would suggest readind before writing. My respect is dwindling.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know what, I'm out too. If you really want I'll reinstall it and give you the code I forgot a year ago.

Later

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
okay let me explain that a little more in depth. running lean is when the car doesnt have enough fuel for the amount of air in the combustion chamber. Assuming removing the air silencer "did" throw a code (a real one), if it were anything, it would be that it's running lean as a result of the "improved airflow" (I say that in quotes because an air silencer can not improve airflow enough to matter at all. It's simple knowledge). So that is why I said "lean" I'm not trying to be troublesome or disrespectful, but the way I see it, you had your answer before you even made the post, wether it be right or wrong, you never had the intention of changing it.

A mass air computer determines the air/fuel ratio by using a heater wire in the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. The sensor stays at a constant temperature, and the computer determines how much power is needed to keep that wire at that temperature with the incoming air. So if the air silencer were to improve air flow enough, the MAF would read it and send that information to the computer. The computer would then adjust the fuel accordingly and even out the air/fuel ratio. This would keep all things in the engine running smoothly and efficiently. I deleted my air silencer almost 4 years ago now, and since then I have modifed the car further and further. Before I put in a larger cam, ported heads, larger injectors, larger maf, and some other things, I had the deleted air silencer, "cold air intake", 60mm throttle body, ported upper and lower intakes, underdrive pullies, advanced timing, 1.8:1 roller rockers, 2 1/4" true dual exhaust, and no chip to compensate for any of it. Did I get an engine code? No. So given the extra amount I was taking in on a completely untouched computer, wouldnt you think by your 'deductive reasonings' that it should have by then? Granted, the air/fuel ratio was not optimal at this point because only a dyno run and a good tune could do that. But the MAF sensor accomodates good enough to keep it safe and correct.

With that said. I am done giving you any technical advice, because you apparently would not accept it as truth anyhow.

-Thomas

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't think I understand how the the systems in my car work. If you want to think Ford produced a perfect vehicle and that tuning is the key you have much to learn. Back before you could drive Ford was buying these cars back like mad to avoid the projected warranty costs.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Speed_Demon said:
You don't think I understand how the the systems in my car work. If you want to think Ford produced a perfect vehicle and that tuning is the key you have much to learn. Back before you could drive Ford was buying these cars back like mad to avoid the projected warranty costs.

I keep saying I'm not trying to be troublesome but you keep proving your ignorance bud, tuning is the key to everything. EFI is all about tuning. If you dont believe it go to v6power.net and ask Justin Starky with his 450rwhp twin turbo v6 mustang with a completely stock motor who gained 100horsepower after months of tuning. That didnt come from yanking an air silencer my friend. Tuning IS everything. Nothing is perfect from the factory, that is why we modify these vehicles, to make them perfect by our standards, not FOMOCO's. I dont care about no freakin warranties, I could care less about them, my stock heads are long past gone.

If you say you know how the computer system works THEN YOU WOULDNT BE ASKING THIS STUPID QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE! YOU WOULD ALREADY KNOW!!!

What does an air silencer have to do with headgaskets?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.