TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 ford thunderbird. I tried changing my own brake pads ( http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=90474 ) instead of having some shop do it and triple the cost. I attempted today and to sum it up, the car won :eek: . I took off the wheel and I tried locating the slider pins. I wish I could show you a pic but basically theres one with like a star bit to get it off and another that has a rubber top to it. Are those the slider pins? If so how would I remove the rubber thing because I tried using pliers to pull them off or should I try harder? Im some what of a noob at doing brakes but I do have experience from Highschool and changing my friends ford tempo. Help is greatly appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
When I went through this w/ my 95, I just ripped the rubber cover off. Didn't feel like fighting w/ it, lol... So far it seems ok.

Jay

·
It is nice
885 Posts
look at your other post, you shouldn't mess with the rubber boot or torx bits unless your replacing the slider pins and even then they really pop off the caliper first before removal.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i dunno how to 97's are, but on my 94, the torx bolt is what you loosen, and take out, and the caliper swings up. take of the pads, compress the piston of the caliper with a C clamp, and put new pads on. bleed the system. now the rear thats a different story. if you have calipers in the back, then you need to do the same except to get the new ones on, you have to twist in the piston of the brake caliper to get the new pads on. if you have drums, DONT TAKE THE PARKING BRAKE CABLE OFF. trust me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts