TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to remove the paint or powdercoat or whatever the factory uses on the 15" fanblade wheels and polish them...has anyone done this?

What would you all recommend for removal of the coating? Some type of chemical?

Now what about polishing to a nice polished aluminum wheel shine?

thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have done this in the past. It is a real PITA to get the stock paint off. I requires several applications of good paint stripper. When you finally get them stripped you'll need to find a professional polisher. (Many of them hang out around the larger truck stops) It will cost about $100-$250 to get them polished. I have never found a guy that will polish them with a tire mounted. Believe me you will spend a lot of time keeping them polished. The alloy that they are made from doesnt bode well in the elements. Then the center cap doesnt match. IMHO you'd be much better off just getting them chromed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ken,I had made a post once and no reply, maybe you can answer me then, since you seem to know. You say they CAN be chromed and if so roughly how much?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I stripped the aluminum wheels on my F-150..I used about 6 cans of paint stripper..the aircraft paint stripper worked better though...and about 4 trips to the car wash to pressure wash the paint stripper off..They look pretty good now..compared to before with that coating peeling off everywhere..I just got a set of chrome Navigator wheels i customized for the truck..So the old wheels are coming off,and will be used for winter only..Good Luck!

Rayo..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, I talked to two platers and one polisher in my area. The results arent encouraging. The plater wants "about $100 a wheel for a clean polished wheel" (no paint etc) and the polisher wants $75 a wheel to polish them, "for a clean wheel", no paint.

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Sodablasting will remove the factory wheel paint pretty easily. I've sandblasted a few sets using a very fine grade of sand with good results, though it will leave the surface slightly rougher than sodablasting. If you're going to spend the time polishing them, it won't really make much difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts