TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a how to on removing the drive shaft? I've done a search but can't find any info. I have a busted joint in the front that needs replaced. Do I have to remove the driveshaft for this or is there another way?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You don't have to remove the driveshaft to replace the front U-joint, but if you've never replaced a U-joint before, it would probably make things go smoother.

There are a few ways to get the driveshaft out. If you already have the engine/trans out (which I thought I saw that you did in another thread), you can just unbolt the driveshaft from the diff and pull it straight out the front. Otherwise, you could remove the fuel tank and disconnect it from the diff to drop it out the bottom. And lastly, I've heard numerous accounts of people removing the diff and lowering the fuel tank slightly to pull the driveshaft out the back.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, what he said. but also you may want to get it rebalanced. i did a 8.8 swap a week ago and mine is in desperate need of one. but the ladies do enjoy the slight vibration ;-) sounds like you got a lot of work ahead of you cincyt-bird

·
Registered
95 Posts
The shop manual actually says to remove the bolts holding the rear end in place (one on each side of the flange and 2 on the back case), turn it downward and slip the driveshaft over the top of it. Unless you have an impact wrench that could be tricky (the ones on my were on there real good.... WD-40 and a nice long cheater bar with someone beside the car on it and we broke the rachet :p).

Dropping the tank was a little easier, but not much.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I did it with the shaft in the car. It was a PITA, but I think it would have been moreso for me if I had dropped the tank or differential. Just visit the gym for a week or so and build up your forearm stamina.

Actually, while you're down there, might as well do the rear joint at the same time. It's a piece of cake, especially compared to the front one...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you use a vice or a clamp while under rgw car? I have a descent size clamps but no vice. A good size breaker bar should get it dont while under the car. :)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I bought a brand new Craftsman c-clamp for the job because I destroyed two old clamps in trying. Heh heh, I forgot about that. That's my u-joint changin' clamp now :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts