TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally went and got me a bird :D She is a 1995 T-Bird LX with 105k on the clock. Overall in awesome shape for 10 years old, no visible leaks and still pleanty of get up and go.

Been lurking around here for some time, soaking up all the information I can. I have searched for this answer but could not find it.

My question is how do I remove the headlights on the 1995? Going to be taking her in for some paint and would like to get the best results I can and avoid the overspray where I can. I have looked at the headlights and can't seem to figure it out, which means the answer is right in front of me :)

Any help, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Shadowhunter.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
there are three metal clips on the backside of each housing. what i do is take a flatblade screwdriver to get the top two clips out. for the bottom ones, get some regular pliers ang grasp the edges of the flat part of the clip. get a good grip on the pliers and wiggle it back and forth, pulling up at the same time. it can be tricky, but it can be done. good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Big Mike, that was the answer I was looking for. Had to go try it and we're good, thought that might be how to do it but wanted to make sure before pulling on stuff.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Also a pair of 90 degree “C” clip pliers work great (the “reverse” pliers… ones that open when you squeeze them)!! Just put the end of the pliers in the small holes on the clips, open the pliers and pull the clip out. Piece of cake! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You could always slide it into a concrete median at 45mph. Pops 'em right out, just ask my wife :D

Jay

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
jimmy_04 said:
Thanks for the info on the clips it helped me out too. But how do you remove the lense?
After removing the clips, just slide the assembly away from the car.

From the 1994 Service Manual:

Headlamp Assembly

Removal and Installation

NOTE: Use snap-ring pliers to spread retainers, then pull straight upward to disengage.

1. Remove three metal headlamp mounting clips (13N129) , attaching headlamp (13008) to grille opening panel, from the rear of panel.
2. Remove headlamp from vehicle and remove headlamp bulb and retainers (13N021) .
3. To install, reverse Removal procedure.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
jimmy_04 said:
I did that but i meant the lense off the part you slide out. The part the turns yellow and you have to clean.
It's glued together. You'll have to cut it open. Dremel tool, etc.
Rob

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
girdnerg said:
It's glued together. You'll have to cut it open. Dremel tool, etc.
Rob
nope. the lens can come off. i use two flatblade screwdrivers. the 94-5 lights are hard to get apart, but im skilled at it now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The same apply to the '96-'97 headlamps?

Now that it appears I've succeeded (checked it yesterday) on the replacement of the upper control arm and sway bar links,I thought I'd tackle some cosmetic issues,among them,the cloudy headlamps -- I've been inspired by the thread in here on refinishing them.

I'd love to go to the bone yard today to play with an assembly,but I'm squeezed on time today. What tools are needed and where does one look first?

Yes,I can order some new ones on line,but part of the fun (reward) is keeping it original,and bringing something back to its former glory -- it's a kick in the pants.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Best tool for headlamp clip removal is a metal paint can opener, stick the prong down in the slot, turn the tool vertical, and pull up. Works every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts