TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering how exactly to remove the headlight assembly from our cars, do you need a special tool or is there a secret to it? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
799 Posts
i think u'd have to remove ur front bumper cover to get it off but other than that jus basic hand tools will work. ive replaced mine. let me know if u have any questions and ill help out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
wait. do you mean the headlight assembly as in the headlight piece?

or the header panel...the piece the headlights and corners attach to? it's black plastic

the headlight assembly is just these little clips you gotta take out, three per headlight. then the headlight simply slides out. there is a ford tool that helps in removal of the clips, which isn't a bad idea to get. everytime I remove them I break one or two.

the headerpanel only needs basic hand tools. I had to remove the grill on my cougar, corner lenses, headlights, and front bumper.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm trying to remove both headlight assemblys to clean them because being a 1991 they are very yellowed. Once the 3 clip are removed you say they slide right out right? Once I do what I wanna do is there any kind of things I need to do when putting them back on so they dont leak? Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question I have is the cone-like rubber retainers that are behind the clips.. how are they loosened and tightened? I tried tightening one on my driver side headlight and the retainer turned as well as the threads. The last owner was in a minor front end (driver side) accident and the driverside headlight is a tad off and if I knew how to tighten that rubber retainer I could fix that when I remove the light to clean and put it back on after, if anyone knows I would be grateful. Thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Steven said:
Yeah, I'm trying to remove both headlight assemblys to clean them because being a 1991 they are very yellowed. Once the 3 clip are removed you say they slide right out right? Once I do what I wanna do is there any kind of things I need to do when putting them back on so they dont leak? Thanks.

Yes, once you remove the clips, they should slide out. Mind you, I only have experience with the 95+ headlights. They may be different. Before putting them back in the best thing to do is to put a bead of silicone where the clear plastic meets the back piece. I'd also smooth it out with your finger to get it in the cracks.

Also, once you get them as clear as you want them, and since you already have them off the car, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a coat or two of clearcoat on the lenses. It'll keep them from yellowing.

Steven said:
Another question I have is the cone-like rubber retainers that are behind the clips.. how are they loosened and tightened? I tried tightening one on my driver side headlight and the retainer turned as well as the threads. The last owner was in a minor front end (driver side) accident and the driverside headlight is a tad off and if I knew how to tighten that rubber retainer I could fix that when I remove the light to clean and put it back on after, if anyone knows I would be grateful. Thanks.
Ahh...I hate adjusting these headlights. There is a Ford tool for adjusting the headlights (I'll edit with a link if I can find it.) but it's like $20.

If you want to adjust them anyways. What I did was remove all three clips. Pull the headlights out. Put vicegrips on the black plastic piece, and use an crescent wrench to turn the threads. After doing this, put the headlight back in the car, but DO NOT put the clips all the way down. Just enough to keep the headlight secure. Now take it for a drive and see how it is.

Atleast..that's what I did.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
also I used Mothers mag polsih on my headlights it worked good to clean them ...

after the accident I just bought a new set from partschannel for $120

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much 95XR7 for your info its gonna help me alot, my dad too for his Thunderbird. I know there are ALOT of methods of cleaning headlights.. Does anyone have any sure fire ones that when your done they look nearly new? Thank You once again!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Steven said:
Thanks so much 95XR7 for your info its gonna help me alot, my dad too for his Thunderbird. I know there are ALOT of methods of cleaning headlights.. Does anyone have any sure fire ones that when your done they look nearly new? Thank You once again!
I sanded mine with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and then used .....ahh..the name slips my mind. It's for plastics to remove scratches.

If you actually put some time into sanding the headlights, they come out pretty good. I noticed with mine though...mine were colored on the inside and outside. So sooner or later I'm just gonna end up buying some new ones.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah sanding is what I was thinking for the outside but I know the outside isn't the only part that needs cleaning.. I heard some guys put their headlights in the oven to get off the yellowed glue inside.. that sounds way to risky to use on the ones right off my car, I think the best ones to use is ones from a junked 91-95 Cougar.. Actually I would love if an aftermarket GLASS headlight came out and buy those. If aftermarket glass headlights were made and sold, that company would make a KILLING from all of us! Well I wanna thank you for all your useful info that you posted 95XR7 now I can tackle my headlights and get them cleaned!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Steven said:
Yeah sanding is what I was thinking for the outside but I know the outside isn't the only part that needs cleaning.. I heard some guys put their headlights in the oven to get off the yellowed glue inside.. that sounds way to risky to use on the ones right off my car, I think the best ones to use is ones from a junked 91-95 Cougar.. Actually I would love if an aftermarket GLASS headlight came out and buy those. If aftermarket glass headlights were made and sold, that company would make a KILLING from all of us! Well I wanna thank you for all your useful info that you posted 95XR7 now I can tackle my headlights and get them cleaned!
I really wouldn't put my headlights in the oven. Cougar headlights are a pita to get apart. I know..I've tried. :p

No problem. :)

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
95XR7 said:
I really wouldn't put my headlights in the oven. Cougar headlights are a pita to get apart. I know..I've tried. :p
they arent hard to get apart. i have gotten several cougar headlights apart before with them sitting at room temperature.

steven, see my sig.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Steven said:

Im surprised APC doesnt make some for our cars, Id buy it even though it was APC :tongue:

·
Registered
798 Posts
big mike said:
they arent hard to get apart. i have gotten several cougar headlights apart before with them sitting at room temperature.

steven, see my sig.
really? I tried on one pair, and they wouldn't come apart at all. Stupid pita's.

Oh well though. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts