TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than a good place to put the third stop lamp, it seems all the spoiler does is add to looks and reduce MPG. MPG went up approx 1.5mpg after temporarily removing the spoiler to get it painted. I drive 100miles a day to work & average around 70mph and 95% of my drive is sustained speed so my stats are accurate. I did put the spoiler back on the car, just interesting to know that it adds enough drag to cut MPG (and probably no down force). I would hate to see what it would do if I averaged 85mph! Just think, I could save around $161/yr in fuel cost by removing the spoiler, nothing else!

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
Wow! That's interesting. It's amazing how the numbers add up when you calculate it out over the course of a year.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hmmm.....maybe if I swapped out my spoiler for a 3 foot high wing, I could actually pick up the mpg to about 10 better! :tongue:

Seriously, that kind of info isn't always realized by a lot of people looking to squeeze every last bit of fuel mileage from their ride.

Me? I'm keeping my spoiler simply because I like it there. It adds a little something to the visual appeal. All the other Tbirds I've seen on the road around where I live don't have one, and I always notice that it seems something is missing on them when they don't have it.

I also think that by me not carrying around an extra 100-200 pounds of subwoofer boxes, amps, thick-gauge power wires more than offsets the little bit of aerodynamic drag the spoiler causes.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,792 Posts
yep I like the looks of a spoiler as well. But the bird here still gets 28 or so doing 75 cruise.

·
Banned
377 Posts
luv my spoiler...mines stock design, but in the two pillar style.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
same has been said about the roof rack on my expedition. i never use it, and could take it off, but i don't think it would look right.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
mustang guys have figured it slowes them down about a tenth or 2 in the 1/4 with their spoiler.
Right on, same with the Tbird wing, we proved that with JL's car.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
thinking this is due to drag?
I would be inclined to believe that the spoiler was designed for looks...not for aerodynamic qualities or downforce and such.

Take the '69 Dodge Carger Daytona and the '70 Plymouth Superbird for instance.
Their wings are there for looks... on the street. Meaning they were worthless for street use (speeds), but for the Nascar speeds they were intended for, they did their job very, very well. They were only as high as they was because there was no way a trunklid could be opened if they weren't, since their pillars were mounted outboard of the trunklid on the tops of the rear quarters. On the street? Worthless, and perhaps gaudy. But they had to be there for the Nascar spec'd homoglation.

I doubt our Tbirds needed these even if for Nascar in their day and age.

But.....they sure do look nice on a Tbird, even if they might not provide any stability or downforce at 70 mph let alone 180+mph.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would be inclined to believe that the spoiler was designed for looks...not for aerodynamic qualities or downforce and such.
no no.....you understood me wrong, or I just plain out said it wrong. What I mean is the spoiler is ruining areodynamics as far as gas mileage goes....and taking the spoiler off and gaining mpg...that would be d/t better aerodynamics.

There is no way the weight of the spoiler is causing the gain in MPG, or atleast that much of a gain in mpg

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Quick everyone take your spoilers off if you want to save gas and go faster at the track! :D

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
same has been said about the roof rack on my expedition. i never use it, and could take it off, but i don't think it would look right.
I think ALL SUV's look better without the roof racks.

I wonder if the SHO spoiler is much different...
Got one for sale if you want to test.

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts