TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done everything i can and im Stuck, The Rocker arms are right infront... But i dont know if i have to pull them out the engine to get to the Rod thats knocking??? Help me out please Guys Thanks TCCOA

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Is the engine out of the car? You pretty much have to completely disassmeble the engine to get the connecting rods out. You may want to invest in a Haynes or Chilton's manual.

-Rod

·
Registered
466 Posts
racecougar said:
Is the engine out of the car? You pretty much have to completely disassmeble the engine to get the connecting rods out. You may want to invest in a Haynes or Chilton's manual.

-Rod

:zwthstpd:

Basically you gotta pull the engine, take the upper and lower intake off, the heads, then rotate it over and pull the pan, to get to the crank, to unbolt the rods...(VERY VERY shortened way) I'd deff get a haynes/chilton manual, that will deffinately help you out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
And btw... rod knock doesnt refer to a pushrod.

But if you want to pull the pushrods, you dont have to remove the rockers. Just loosen them enough to where it will turn 90 degrees or so so you can pull the p-rods.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have the book chiltons book on it. but i dont wanna have to pull the engine apart :confused: just take to damn long but looks like im going to have too. thanks for the help guys. do anyof you know where i can get a gasket set for the engine since i might as well rebiuld the damn thing? :eek:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
do they have o'reilly auto parts in Arizona? They carry Fel-Pro (best gaskets out there) You'll want an engine kit for that. You can also get the rod bearings.

BUT you dont have to pull the heads to fix a rod bearing. Remove the engine, put it on a stand, flip it 180*, remove the oil pan and pickup tube, then unbolt the rods. You can take the caps off the rod and move the rod up some, then just slip the new bearings in, bolt them back together, and reassemble everything.

-Thomas

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
find out how much they are an ill send you the money to get them for me :D if you can.... well thanks for the info thomAS PEACE

·
Registered
293 Posts
im wondering if he had a rod knocking or a bent push rod.
If it is just a push rod he can do the work while it is in the car
if it is a rod ( connecting rod) then remove the motor, flip it and go at it from underneith like thomas said.
Whats the engine doing?

·
8,978 Posts
yeah I can get you fel-pro gaskets cheap. I can look up pricing when I go to work today.
-Thomas

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the sound is coming from the passanger side of the engine and its loud. i dont know if its a push rod or not. its a loud clanking sound thats all i know what you guys think it is??? keep me informed. and thomas if you could give me a call 602 740 5528 or pm me your number so i can chat with ya so we could try to figure this out quicker thanks man for all your guys help peace

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok were talking about a engine knock thats loud not exhuast

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only if you exhuats pipe brakes loose

·
8,978 Posts
brokenmachines_e2 said:
exhaust can make a loud clanking noise.
that's usually a clicking or fluttering sound. His sound is coming from the top and sounds like a jackhammer on concrete.
-Thomas

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he only knows that because he called me :D other then that who knows we got so :confused: chating online

1 - 16 of 16 Posts