TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen a few people's 96-97's with the side cladding/panles removed. I realize theres prolly 75 holes combined, and thats alot of work to weld in. I have also never welded that think of metal before, so i'm a little scared to tackle it. Is there any type of "bondo" or filler that I could use that would stand up to daily driving and "door slamming" without it cracking?

Could I make a panel to fit in behind the holes, and tack weld it in place then put bondo/filler on the outside to fill in the holes without worrying about water leaking in/the bondo breaking?

If worse comes to worse and I pay someone to do this, how much could I expect to pay for this to be done? I'll pull the panels off, and sand the areas around the holes for a good weld, and then primer it...I just dont feel comfortable doing this myself.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I, too, wanted to do this.
I've decided to live with the paneling since it's a huge job to fill those holes.
I would think that the bondo/filler in the holes would crack no matter what you did.
It's such a large piece of sheet metal with PLENTY of movement from day-to-day.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
SirWill has done this. Seen his vehicle in person, REAL nice. Removed the side cladding & shaved handles.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
As far as I know I'm the only one who's gone to the trouble, but I may be wrong. There are 36 holes per side. We "dimpled in" the holes on mine then used structural panel adhesive to fill the hole with a small piece of flat metal on the back. Once this setup, it was fill and sand fill and sand and fill and sand.......

It's not impossible, but it's NOT easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts