TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I would like to delete/eliminate my A/C. Okay I cant find anywhere that sells a kits for a 95 4.6 thunderbird. Or is there a way I could do it with a shorter belt and moving something around? thanks

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Ford Racing Performance Parts has an AC eliminator for the 4.6 .. its listed as a Mustang part, but it works on the Tbird also.

·
Banned
377 Posts
hhmmmm....interesting, this with a underdrive pulley would free up quite a bit of drag.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
The A/C has no drag what so ever, at WOT it will turn off and become an idle pulley...No drag when the A/C is off too. The only performance you gain is taking off 50-60 pounds off the front end. Which isn't bad, but don't quote me on that poundage. That's the whole A/C system, the compressor is...I don't know 25 pounds?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Is the 3.8 system the same as the 4.6 you think?
You mean as far as the compressor mounting points ?? I believe it is slightly different so the 4.6 eliminator wont work, but I havent had a 3.8 AC for a while so im not 100% sure. There is a 5.0 available also, might be interchangeable with the 3.8.

·
5,650 Posts
Compressors are the same weight but are different in mounting. The lines of the 4.6 might be 1 lb more in weight but that's it. The evaporator is the only thing the same between the 2 systems.

And when I said I just removed it I meant on a 4.6L. I've also done it on the 3.8L.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
On the 4.6L you don't need an idler, well at least on 96/97 front covers. There is a way to route the belt with the compressor removed, and the only thing "wrong" about it is one of the smooth pulleys will have the ribbed side of the belt riding on it...no harm at all there but you can change it to a ribbed one if you wish.

Diagram is <a href=http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=62266&highlight=belt+routing>here</a href> and you will need a 79" belt, I believe I picked one up at AutoZone for around $30.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ya my buddy did that to his old Thunderbird he had, worked fine, the weight loss was minimal, like 20-35lbs, someone has to weigh this stuff after they take it all off so we know how much it weighs

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay well I already ordered the bracket and pulley. I will weigh all that I eliminate for you all. But I have another question. Will I be able to run the heat? Because someone told me I couldnt run the heat after I eliminate the a/c because they said there is a controller or something that regulates the ac and heat and they were essential to each other they said EAC system or somethin... . Iam not that familir with Tbirds so you know way more than me.

Thanks for all the help

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Heat will work just fine, and on cool days if you turn the temp control to it's coolest setting it will draw in fresh cool outside air, just like if your a/c was working.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Okay well I already ordered the bracket and pulley. I will weigh all that I eliminate for you all. But I have another question. Will I be able to run the heat? Because someone told me I couldnt run the heat after I eliminate the a/c because they said there is a controller or something that regulates the ac and heat and they were essential to each other they said EAC system or somethin... . Iam not that familir with Tbirds so you know way more than me.

Thanks for all the help
You are still better off without the pulley, with the parasitic drag you won't realize the full potential of the A/C delete. Plus shorter belts equal less stretch and belt slippage.

Sell yours on ebay to some other sucker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts