TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor is bad…how do I remove the compressor? I have to have a shop remove the refrigerants and then what? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Is it that you want to replace it or just get rid of it.Are you sure your compressor is bad???Have you ran a dye kit through it yet to see if it is leaking???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
just remove it, get a six rib idle pulley and slap it on where the "non ribbed" idle goes, then get a 79inch 6 rib serp belt, and bliggity blame! ... you'll be part of the AC delete club.

~MG~

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
just remove it, get a six rib idle pulley and slap it on where the "non ribbed" idle goes, then get a 79inch 6 rib serp belt, and bliggity blame! ... you'll be part of the AC delete club.

~MG~
The A/C pulley is a free spinning pulley.So the only real improvement would be wieght loss.How much does the compressor actually wieght??If I had to guess I'd say about 20-30 pounds at most.Is it really worth it?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it that you want to replace it or just get rid of it.Are you sure your compressor is bad???Have you ran a dye kit through it yet to see if it is leaking???
No it's not latching or spinning to compress when the A/C is turned on. The pulley is free spinning all the time.

~MG~
MG,

I just don't want to remove it cause of the refrigerants, I guess they have to be removed by an auto shop. I heard you can get really sick off that junk or even die, so I don't want to take any chances when I don't even know any thing about the A/C components.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
well he mentioned refrigerants...

But if your taking the Kompressor off, I'll buy it! ;-)

~MG~

(Yes, I grew my third eye working on AC)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
just get a charging kit, hook it to the low pressure side, and let it vent.

Compressor+condenser+dryer+lines= ~50 pounds.

Personally I'd just fix the AC clutch.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The clutch is an easy fix. I did it in about 30 min that is with the old one already off. If you really have to remove it you can get an A/c delete pulley that bolts up where the compressor goes and still takes the same belt.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
You need to check if there is any refrigerant in the system , i had to replace the low pressure switch and my ac is working again not like i use it much but its there .A way to check is unplug it turn the ac on and jump it and see if the compressor will engage .

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
If you have a 96 Bird the refrigerant is R134A and is CFC free (harmless to the environment).

·
Registered
320 Posts
R134a yes it is supposed to be harmless. If is comes in contact with open flame the R134a turn deadly. One whiff of the flamed R134a and you are toast.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you sure you have a bad compressor? If the charge in the system is too low the compressor won't turn on at all. You can get a cheap R134a recharge kit with a gage and make sure you have enough charge in the system to meet the low pressure shutoff pressure switch. You could also bypass the low pressure switch as was stated previously in this thread.

Mike

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I jacked the car up today and had a good look at the compressor while the A/C was engaged. I noticed a faint rubbing sound coming from it, I think the bearing or clutch is bad since I can move the pulley a little. Not sure what to do here...New compressor?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clutch either that or the bearing that the clucth rides on.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you have a 96 Bird the refrigerant is R134A and is CFC free (harmless to the environment).
R134a is not harmless to the environment, it just isn't as bad as R12 was. You should still have the R134a recovered by a shop that has the right equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts