TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rear bumper. Previous owner got a flat and didn't know it until BANG BANG BANG.

Passenger side. I under-estimated the space between me and a low pole. Luckily that's all it did.

I wanna get the above fixed. I do have the door trim piece, but I don't have the fender trim piece. Also, I don't have a bumper cover. Are these pieces repairable, or should I be hunting for new pieces? I did place a thread in the "Wanted" section. However, if I don't need them, the sooner I can get my car touched up :D.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Just buy new parts. To repair it you'd have to get plastic bumper repair crap, sand it all down, glue it, fill it (bondy aka filler), block it in (smooth it out), wet send the rest of the parts, and paint. If you've got all the materials already go for it, but it'd be just as easy to buy a new part

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For what you can get a used cover for, plastic bumpers arent even worth the time to fix. Its a real PITA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like the last two guys said go get a new one. It'd just be too much of a PITA trying to glue,bondo, and sand the whole thing down to try and make paint stick.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lightevergreenfrost said:
If you do get rid of it, keep the wheels. Those are not all that common. But I'd go to the salvage yard and take one off another car.
Haha...I wouldn't be getting rid of the WHOLE CAR...just the bumper cover and passenger side trim. I've got the passenger side door piece, but not the fender piece or a bumper cover. The last few times I've been to the local salvage yard they've never had anything newer than a '95. I want my '96 parts! lol. There are a couple salvage yards, one 30 minutes south and another 30 minutes north...but I hate to drive there and pay entrance fees (only something like $2...but still) and find that there isn't a '96 with the pieces I need. I may end up just paying a body shop an outrageous amount to find the pieces for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
962 Posts
thunder04 said:
Haha...I wouldn't be getting rid of the WHOLE CAR...just the bumper cover and passenger side trim. I've got the passenger side door piece, but not the fender piece or a bumper cover. The last few times I've been to the local salvage yard they've never had anything newer than a '95. I want my '96 parts! lol. There are a couple salvage yards, one 30 minutes south and another 30 minutes north...but I hate to drive there and pay entrance fees (only something like $2...but still) and find that there isn't a '96 with the pieces I need. I may end up just paying a body shop an outrageous amount to find the pieces for me.
There's a few lots here that have 96 - 97 birds. I can give you a few numbers if you want them. I just need a front bumper cover. BUt they are either cracked up or missing. I saw a blue 96 with the parts that you need. I'll stop by this weekend and ask the guy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woo! Got all parts, finally. Now I've gotta find a body shop. Any recommendations (either in the Central Valley and/or East Bay)?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Choice

I used to work in a body shop in the early 70's...............I'd repair what you have. Looking for replacement parts could be long, and expensive for little gain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts