TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, awhile back I had some problems with a piston hitting a valve on a set of NPIs that I had ported thanks to me improperly timing one of the cams. Anyway, end result was a broken rod, busted up piston, broken cam followers. Is there any way to repair the pits that were put into the CC of the head? Looks like someone took some rocks and hammered dents into the head on #4. Honestly, they arent very deep. That's why I was wondering if I could just weld in some aluminum to fill the holes and smooth it all back out. Any other ideas? Most ppl are gonna say they're junk. I'm just looking for a way to make them safe to use for sure. Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I know that head shops will weld cracked aluminum heads and also weld burned/blown head gasket areas, so I can't think of a reason why the dents couldn't be welded and then smoothed.

But I would make sure you find out what the aluminum composition/hardness of the head is and then match the welding material to the proper aluminum material.

I would probably just smooth the sharp edges and just live with the very slightly reduced CR in those cylinders. The decreased CR would be minimal unless we're talking about a lot of dents. I know the heads can warp pretty badly when they are welded on in certain locations. :beek:

But just my opinions and good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Honestly i would just get new heads. I know that is the answer you didn't want to hear but here is why. If you had piston to valve contanct then more then likely there are a thousand microfractures in the head that you can't even see. Remember the material was only desinged to withstand heat factors it was never designed to take an impact. So i would definatly recommend to replace it. It is bad enough to junk a good head its a real shame to blow a motor up when the head comes apart.

Will

1 - 3 of 3 Posts