TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a bad inner tie-rod that had some play in it. Since that is fixed now, the car does not dance around anymore when simply trying to drive straight. And it the car feels more solid in turns now as well. I didn't realize how bad it was. The only problem is I still have some ratting in the front end. When I had the car up on jack stands, I moved the steering all around and everything felt tight. Of course I can't physically move the suspension up and down to be able to see exactly what the rattle is. I know it's not the calipers, I just did a brake job.

What is the next most common rattle on the front ends of these T-birds?

It still needs shocks all the way around, the upper arms replaced (boots are missing), lower ball joints (boots are missing as well), the sway bar end links have seen better days.... I am going to start by replacing the sway bar end links, if that doesn't fix it, I'll just keep replacing front end parts that need replacing anyways.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
swaybar endlinks.... and strut rod bushings

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ah-ha. I bet I know. its the clip that holds the brake pads still. in the top of the caliper. without it you will have THE MOST obnoxious rattle at every bump. it will rattle over bumps, but not with the brakes on.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swaybar endlinks.... and strut rod bushings
I am going to repalce the sway bar end links, what do the strut rod bushings cost, and are those a pain to replace? And when you say strut rod, this is a part of the front lower suspension arm, the one that points towards the front of the car, right?
Ah-ha. I bet I know. its the clip that holds the brake pads still. in the top of the caliper. without it you will have THE MOST obnoxious rattle at every bump. it will rattle over bumps, but not with the brakes on.
Well, I just did a brake job, so everything is good with the brakes. The rattle still exists with the brakes applied, so that rules out the calipers.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
not too much of a pain, it could also be the swybar endlinks.. that 's' shaped thingie... i think the strut rod bushings are like 20 bucks each. (you need a pair) and the endlinks are 40-50 apiece (again, you need a pair.) i started a parts list thread awhile back... shouldnt be too hard to find.... theres a few parts listed in there....

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not too much of a pain, it could also be the swybar endlinks.. that 's' shaped thingie... i think the strut rod bushings are like 20 bucks each. (you need a pair) and the endlinks are 40-50 apiece (again, you need a pair.) i started a parts list thread awhile back... shouldnt be too hard to find.... theres a few parts listed in there....
Thanks for the reply... And yeah, I was checking out that thread a couple of days ago, I'll look through it again.

What brand are guys going with? I was thinking of going with everything OEM? Is Moog comparable to the Motorcraft stuff?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Thanks for the reply... And yeah, I was checking out that thread a couple of days ago, I'll look through it again.

What brand are guys going with? I was thinking of going with everything OEM? Is Moog comparable to the Motorcraft stuff?
*THREADJACK* :D

You up for hanging out w/ the Houston guys this weekend?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kris, lets replace those end links tonight....should relieve some noises.
The end-links you gave me look just as bad as the ones on the car.... If you want we can take one side off and just compare them?

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*THREADJACK* :D

You up for hanging out w/ the Houston guys this weekend?
Sure, if you guys don't mind coming out to Spring..... ;) Just kidding, where do you guys plan on hanging out? And like Nick said, this is Kris his brother.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I knew who you were. I remembered the screen name. Not sure where we are meeting or if I will be able to. I have to work all weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts