TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently noticed a repetitive squeaking noise while accelerating in my 95 LX 4.6. It's speed dependent and gets faster as the car goes faster. I thought the noise might be a wheel bearing or brake component or something until I discovered that the car only makes this noise while in forward gear. It won't do it if the car is coasting in neutral or in reverse.

In my mind that eliminates most of the rotating parts like hubs, axles, diff, driveshaft, etc. because they still turn while the car is moving even if it's in neutral. Any idea what this could be? I think I might jack up the car and see if I can hear it with the rear end in the air, but I was just looking for some insight before I did that.

I first noticed the problem after doing a full tuneup on the car including new oxygen sensors, but I'm guessing it may have been happening before but I never noticed it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think that you should ride the brakes lightly to see if the problem dissapears. What you are describing to me sounds like warped brake rotors.

Do that before you start doimg more complicated diagnostics.

-Andrey

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like a bad U-joint or CV joint to me.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Does it change when cornering? a verry deceptive bunch of symptoms occur early in the failure of the sealed wheel bearings. a change in sound cornering will tell you its one one side or tyhe other. Brake drag on the discs will also cause a chirp/ squeek in one direction and dissappear in reverse... Get all 4 wheels off the ground, and turn them by hand , carefully,you may be surprised what a gentle hand can feel..... good luck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to answer questions:

-It doesn't change with brakes on/off. The only way brakes come into play is that the noise stops when the car stops moving.

-I don't know if the noise changes while cornering, but I can tell you it does it in a straight line.

-The noise occurs even when the car is just creeping forward at idle without me touching the gas pedal. But I can see how the load of the car in gear could affect it.

I really hope it's not a u-joint or CV joint. I hope this car isn't going to nickel and dime me to death. I've hardly had to put a dime into repairs in the 3 years and 60k miles I've owned it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have rebuilt just about evreything on my 95, or replaced it, except the headliner and seats(next) but at 190,000 mi. it doesnt owe me anything, and sometimes you gotta grin andf bear it... work and some money is a lot better than lotsa money every couple years to have a decent ride,& somewhere along the way you learn so much about the car that you hate to change .... youll figure it out... good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know, but I've already been playing with the idea of selling it. I'd really like something with better gas mileage.

Too bad it needs control arms too, and some jackass was nice enough to leave me a dent in the side, plus it has 155k miles, plus resale value just sucks. Not mention the fact that I'm getting married soon so I have little money to waste. So that means I'll probably just drive it till it stops running! </rant>

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, you could have all my mods(not listed) and be shooting for the 12's, and my blown mileage (17) and having fun, but if you gotta drop it , look at the '03/'04 focus hatch as an economical ride with "potential".... good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh trust me, I have my fun car! See #2 car in my sig!

That's part of the reason I'd like a more economical commuter, but I doubt it's gonna happen. I have to wring all the life I can out of my Bird.

·
Registered
921 Posts
nooooo!!! don't kill it!!! it's a good car! it really is! she just needs some lovin!
I hate to see another person go with anything but a t-bird... breaks my heart....:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts