TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my pickup (95 F-150 5 speed 6 cyl), the exhaust tip is rotting out. I believe it's the stock tip on a stock exhaust. It looks to be welded to the exhaust pipe and I believe that the pipe is 2 1/4 inches (Is that a standard or common size?).
I would assume that I'd have to cut the pipe just up from the tip joint, but how do you attach a new one. I don't want anything fancy, just a replacement.
Sorry for the dumb question. I haven't messed with exhaust any...yet...on my 'bird so I don't know much about it yet.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If your tip is rusty, you should check the entire system for rot.

hack it off, weld or clamp on a new one. You should be able to find a basic tip at any exhaust shop, or even pep boys/ auto zone, etc.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. At least I can crawl under the truck without jacking it up. Thank God for small victories...
I went to Honda Central (aka Auto Zone) after posting and found that some of the tips have only nuts and bolts to attach with and some have the same plus a section that can cinch up to the pipe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you can hide a clamp, or use a fancy chrome one, they have a better chance of staying on. The screw type can be found along most major interstates..
I took our car to an exhaust shop and for 20 bucks left with a welded on chrome tip. I would look for a shop and have it welded, looks and lasts better.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, that's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I defiantely agree with Green bird on what he said. My dad used to have a 93 150 w/6 cylinder in it. That thing went through exhaust like nothing. The tip would be rusting out and then you'd take a look underneath and everything would be shot. Now I know why it started to sound like crap!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts